Partial Derivative of a Parametric Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over the derivative of a parametric equation and the difference between partial and total derivatives. The main point is that the partial derivative of a coordinate with respect to the parameter should be zero, but in this case it is not. The conversation also touches on the difference between coordinates and parameters.
emob2p
Hi,
I'm getting confused over a few points on the derivative of a parametric equation.
Say we the world line of a particle are represented by coordinates [tex] x^i [/tex]. We then parametrize this world line by the parameter t. [tex] x^i = f^i(t) [/tex].

Now here is where I get confused. The partial derivative [tex] \frac {\partial x^i}{\partial t} [/tex] should be zero since x is an independent coordinate and has no explicit time dependence. However, if I take the partial of the RHS above, clearly this is nonzero.

Moreover we define [tex] \dot x^i [/tex] as [tex] \dot x^i = \frac{d x^i}{d t} [/tex]. It seems the RHS will be the same if we take a partial or total derivative, yet the LHS will be zero if we take [tex] \frac {\partial x^i}{\partial t} [/tex] but [tex] \dot x^i [/tex] if we take [tex] \dot x^i = \frac{d x^i}{d t} [/tex]. Is my question clear? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emob2p said:
Hi,
I'm getting confused over a few points on the derivative of a parametric equation.
Say we the world line of a particle are represented by coordinates [tex] x^i [/tex]. We then parametrize this world line by the parameter t. [tex] x^i = f^i(t) [/tex].

Now here is where I get confused. The partial derivative [tex] \frac {\partial x^i}{\partial t} [/tex] should be zero since x is an independent coordinate and has no explicit time dependence. However, if I take the partial of the RHS above, clearly this is nonzero.

Moreover we define [tex] \dot x^i [/tex] as [tex] \dot x^i = \frac{d x^i}{d t} [/tex]. It seems the RHS will be the same if we take a partial or total derivative, yet the LHS will be zero if we take [tex] \frac {\partial x^i}{\partial t} [/tex] but [tex] \dot x^i [/tex] if we take [tex] \dot x^i = \frac{d x^i}{d t} [/tex]. Is my question clear? Thanks.

Except t isn't a coordinate, it's a parameter. x does have an explicit time dependance, you've given it one when you equated x to f(t). x is not an independant coordinate in this circumstance, t is. That's like saying y=f(x), so [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] must be zero because y is an independant coordinate.

The total and partial derivatives with respect to t are the same here because [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] is a one dimensional function.

Last edited:

Hello,

I can understand your confusion regarding the partial derivative of a parametric equation. Let me try to clarify it for you.

First, it is important to understand that the partial derivative of a function with respect to a variable only takes into account the changes in that variable while keeping all other variables constant. In the case of a parametric equation, the independent variable is the parameter t, and the dependent variable is x^i. Therefore, when we take the partial derivative of x^i with respect to t, we are only considering the changes in x^i due to changes in t, while keeping all other coordinates (x^j where j≠i) constant.

Now, in your example, x^i is an independent coordinate and does not have an explicit time dependence. This means that changes in t will not affect x^i, and hence the partial derivative of x^i with respect to t will be zero. However, when we take the partial derivative of the RHS, we are considering the changes in f^i(t) with respect to t, which will not necessarily be zero. This is because f^i(t) can also depend on other variables besides t.

Moving on to your second question, \dot x^i is defined as the total derivative of x^i with respect to t, which takes into account all the changes in x^i due to changes in t, regardless of whether x^i has an explicit time dependence or not. Therefore, in this case, the LHS will not be zero, as it considers all changes in x^i.

In summary, the partial derivative of a parametric equation only considers changes in the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable, while the total derivative takes into account all changes in the dependent variable. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a partial derivative of a parametric equation?

A partial derivative of a parametric equation is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable in a multi-variable function. It is used to determine the sensitivity of the function to small changes in the variables.

2. How is a partial derivative of a parametric equation calculated?

A partial derivative of a parametric equation is calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, while holding the other variables constant. This is done by using the chain rule and treating the other variables as constants.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the partial derivative of a parametric equation?

The partial derivative of a parametric equation is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It helps to analyze how changing one variable affects the overall function, and is also used to optimize functions in order to find maximum or minimum values.

4. Can a parametric equation have more than one partial derivative?

Yes, a parametric equation can have multiple partial derivatives. The number of partial derivatives depends on the number of variables in the function. For example, a function with two variables will have two partial derivatives, one for each variable.

5. How does the partial derivative of a parametric equation relate to the total derivative?

The partial derivative of a parametric equation is a special case of the total derivative. It represents the change in the function with respect to only one of the variables, while the total derivative represents the overall change in the function with respect to all variables. The total derivative can be calculated by summing all the partial derivatives of a function.