Partial Derivatives - Basic Formula

In summary: Furthermore, once you have expanded "f" along the horizontal length segment from (x_0, y_0+k) to (x_0+h, y_0+k), you may expand the different terms of "f" along the VERTICAL length segment from (x_0,y_0) to (x_0, y_0+k).In summary, the Taylor theorem states that the function f(x,y) can be approximated as a single-variable function by expanding it in a Taylor series around a point (x_0, y_0).
elemis
Could someone please explain how the formula at the bottom of the page is derived i.e. how is the Taylor theorem used to obtain it ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
You can derive it, by expanding one variable by one.

f(h+x_0, k+y_0)=f(x_0,y_0+k)+f_x(x_0,y_0+k)h+1/2f_xx(x_0,y_0+k)h^2+++
=f(x_0,y_0)+f_y(x_0,y_0)k+1/2f_yy(x_0,y_0)k^2+f_xy(x_0,y_0)hk+1/2f_xx(x_0,y_0)h^2+++

Where the terms up to second order can be rearranged into the desired equation.

arildno said:
You can derive it, by expanding one variable by one.

f(h+x_0, k+y_0)=f(x_0,y_0+k)+f_x(x_0,y_0+k)h+1/2f_xx(x_0,y_0+k)h^2+++
=f(x_0,y_0)+f_y(x_0,y_0)k+1/2f_yy(x_0,y_0)k^2+f_xy(x_0,y_0)hk+1/2f_xx(x_0,y_0)h^2+++

Where the terms up to second order can be rearranged into the desired equation.

I'm not sure what you've done there to be honest.

First, I make a one-variable Taylor-expansion of the function in x, at the point (x_0,y_0+k).
Then, I make a one-variable expansion in y of the different terms.

arildno said:
First, I make a one-variable Taylor-expansion of the function in x, at the point (x_0,y_0+k).
Then, I make a one-variable expansion in y of the different terms.

I have to be truthful, my professor used a similar method to what you described but I just can't see how he used two variables in a Taylor expansion since I've only ever learned to deal with Taylor expansions of one variable.

Could you please break this down further for me ? I would be very much obliged.

elemis said:
I have to be truthful, my professor used a similar method to what you described but I just can't see how he used two variables in a Taylor expansion since I've only ever learned to deal with Taylor expansions of one variable.

Could you please break this down further for me ? I would be very much obliged.

Well, but when you do partial derivatives, you regard the other variable to be a CONSTANT.
Agreed?

Thus, the function f(x,y), evaluated at the 2-D point (x_0+h,y_0+k) may be regarded as a single-variable function of x along the (horizontal) length segment from (x_0, y_0+k) to (x_0+h, y_0+k).
Along THAT line segment, we may perfectly well expand the function in its Taylor series relativ to "x".

In one variable we have

f(x+h)~exp(hD)f(x)=f(x)+hDf(x)+(h^2)(D^2)/2f(x)+...

in several variables

f(x+h)~exp(h.∇)f(x)=f(x)+h.∇f(x)+(h.∇)^2/2f''(x)+...

Why, lurfflurff, do you come up with compact notation a newbie couldn't possibly understand??

arildno said:
Well, but when you do partial derivatives, you regard the other variable to be a CONSTANT.
Agreed?

Thus, the function f(x,y), evaluated at the 2-D point (x_0+h,y_0+k) may be regarded as a single-variable function of x along the (horizontal) length segment from (x_0, y_0+k) to (x_0+h, y_0+k).
Along THAT line segment, we may perfectly well expand the function in its Taylor series relativ to "x".

Yes, I agree and understand what you mean.

The difficulty I'm having is how do I introduce the constant y_0+k into my taylor expansion ?

elemis said:
Yes, I agree and understand what you mean.

The difficulty I'm having is how do I introduce the constant y_0+k into my taylor expansion ?
At whatever places "y" stands in the expression for "f" itself.

Furthermore, once you have expanded "f" along the horizontal length segment from (x_0, y_0+k) to (x_0+h, y_0+k), you may expand the different terms of "f" along the VERTICAL length segment from (x_0,y_0) to (x_0, y_0+k).

1. What is the basic formula for a partial derivative?

The basic formula for a partial derivative is: fx(x,y) = limh→0 (f(x+h,y)-f(x,y))/h where fx represents the partial derivative of f with respect to x, and h is a small change in the x direction.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to only one of its variables, while a regular derivative measures the rate of change with respect to a single variable. In other words, a partial derivative considers all other variables constant, while a regular derivative takes into account the effect of all variables on the function.

3. Can a partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative can be negative. A negative partial derivative indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the variable being considered, while a positive partial derivative indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.

4. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful for understanding how a multivariable function changes in a specific direction. They are also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Are partial derivatives only used in calculus?

No, partial derivatives have applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model real-world processes and make predictions about how these processes will change under different conditions.