Why Does the Partial Derivative of a Sum Cancel Out?

In summary: No. ## i ## is just one specific index, an arbitrary one, but a specific one. That's why we have to distinguish this index from the summation index which runs over all. One of them matches ##j=i## whereas all others do not: ##j\neq i##. The former yields ##2x_i##, the latter yields the zeros.Got it now! Thanks, guys, you're amazing!
Ryan187
Why the summation of the following function will be canceled out when we take the partial derivative with respect to the x_i?
Notice that x_i is the sub of (i), which is the same lower limit of the summation! Can someone, please explain in details?
118541109_630427871231244_6999212244547890627_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##x_i## are, I assume, independent variables. If ##i \ne j## then ##\frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_i} = 0##.

Note that the answer should be ##2x_i##.

Thank you PeroK! Even if x_i is an independent variable. why the summation is canceled out? can you explain the derivative in detail, please? and you're right the answer is 2x_i not x_i

Ryan187 said:
Thank you PeroK! Even if x_i is an independent variable. why the summation is canceled out? can you explain the derivative in detail, please? and you're right the answer is 2x_i not x_i
The summation is not needed because most terms in the sum are zero.

Likes Ryan187 and etotheipi
PS it might help is you use a different dummy variable for the definition of ##y##. Use ##j = 1## to ##n## instead of ##i##, for example.

@Ryan187 if you replace the free index ##i## with a concrete number, can you for instance evaluate$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} \sum_{k=1}^5 ({x_k}^2)= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} ({x_1}^2 + {x_2}^2 + {x_3}^2 + {x_4}^2 + {x_5}^2)$$assuming the ##x_i## are independent variables?

Likes Ryan187 and Mark44
Ryan187 said:
explain
Differentiation is a linear function: ##\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_j}(\alpha \cdot f(x)+\beta\cdot g(x))=\alpha\cdot \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_j}f(x)+\beta\cdot \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_j} g(x)##.

Here we only have a longer sum: ##x_1^2+x_2^2+\ldots+x_N^2##

etotheipi said:
@Ryan187 if you replace the free index ##i## with a concrete number, can you for instance evaluate$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} \sum_{k=1}^5 ({x_k}^2)= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} ({x_1}^2 + {x_2}^2 + {x_3}^2 + {x_4}^2 + {x_5}^2)$$assuming the ##x_i## are independent variables?
This is the key -- expanding the sum, and then differentiating with respect to one of the terms in the sum.

So, in this case, I am kind of differentiating over one term that's why the sum will be canceled out?

Ryan187 said:
So, in this case, I am kind of dif\displaystyle{}ferentiating over one term that's why the sum will be canceled out?
No. You differentiate all terms. ##\displaystyle{\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left(\sum_{j=1}^N x_j^2\right) = \sum_{j=1}^N \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x_i} (x_j^2)}##

I'll use my example again$$\begin{align*}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} \sum_{k=1}^5 ({x_k}^2)&= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3} ({x_1}^2 + {x_2}^2 + {x_3}^2 + {x_4}^2 + {x_5}^2)\\ \\&= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_1}^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_2}^2) + \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_3}^2)+ \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_4}^2)+\frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_5}^2) \\ \\

&= 0 + 0 + \frac{\partial}{\partial x_3}({x_3}^2) + 0 + 0\end{align*}$$I see I've been beaten to it by @fresh_42 :wink:

Likes Ryan187
etotheipi said:
I see I've been beaten to it by @fresh_42 :wink:
I have these shortcuts on the keyboard:

\displaystyle{}
\dfrac{}{}
\left(\right)
\partial

:smile:

• Wow
Likes jim mcnamara and etotheipi
but in this case, we derive with respect to x3 (i=3) which is one term, but the original derivative is with respect to (x_i) which is the whole i's values?!

Ryan187 said:
but in this case, we derive with respect to x3 (i=3) which is one term, but the original derivative is with respect to (x_i) which is the whole i's values?!
No. ## i ## is just one specific index, an arbitrary one, but a specific one. That's why we have to distinguish this index from the summation index which runs over all. One of them matches ##j=i## whereas all others do not: ##j\neq i##. The former yields ##2x_i##, the latter yields the zeros.

Likes Ryan187
Got it now! Thanks, guys, you're amazing! It is my first thread to this community!

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative of a sum?

The partial derivative of a sum is the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It measures the instantaneous rate of change of the function with respect to that particular variable.

2. How is the partial derivative of a sum calculated?

The partial derivative of a sum is calculated by taking the derivative of each term in the sum separately and then adding them together. The derivative of a constant is 0, and the derivative of a variable is its coefficient.

3. Why is the partial derivative of a sum important?

The partial derivative of a sum is important because it allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to one variable while keeping all other variables constant. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the order of the variables in a partial derivative of a sum be changed?

Yes, the order of the variables in a partial derivative of a sum can be changed. This is known as the commutative property of addition. However, the order of the variables cannot be changed within a single term of the sum.

5. Are there any special rules for calculating the partial derivative of a sum?

Yes, there are a few special rules for calculating the partial derivative of a sum. These include the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, which are similar to the rules for calculating derivatives of single-variable functions. It is important to apply these rules correctly when calculating partial derivatives.