Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differential Equation with initial conditions

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    Hello! This is my first post to this excellent forum! I would like some help with this exercise:

[itex] u_{xx} (x,y) + u_{yy} (x,y) = 0[/itex], with [itex] 0 < x < 2 \pi [/itex], [itex] 0 < y < 4 \pi [/itex]
    [itex] u_x (0,y) = 0, \, u_x(2 \pi, y) = 0, \, 0< y < 4 \pi [/itex]
    [itex] u(x,0) = a \cos(2x), \, u(x, 4 \pi) = a \cos^3(x), \, 0<x<2\pi[/itex]

I think that the first step is to set [itex] u(x,y) = X(x) Y(y) [/itex], from which the first equation becomes [itex] X''(x) Y(y) + X(x) Y''(y) = 0 [/itex]. And by dividing with [itex] X(x) Y(y) [/itex] with obtain [itex] \frac{X''(x)}{X(x)} = \frac{Y''(y)}{Y(y)} = - \lambda [/itex]

Now, be obtain two ordinary PDEs, [itex] X''(x) + \lambda X(x) = 0 [/itex], and [itex] Y''(y) - \lambda Y(y) = 0 [/itex].

I don't know how to continue from now one. Especially what to do with the non-homogeneous initial conditions.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without analyzing the equations in detail, consider:

(a) λ is a constant (parameter) shared by both equations;
    (b) the ODE's can be solved in the "ordinary" way; don't stop until you have the general solutions for both!
    (c) the boundary conditions will not be applied until you have found the general solutions; you may end up having to "patch together" pieces drawn from the two sets of general solutions which are continuous where the patches join.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook