• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Partial differential equations, or Higher geometry one?

• Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

The local university offers both partial differential equations and higher geometry I (both of which seem equally interesting to me!), but they are only offered during the same time! As I'm most likely going to major in physics when I go to college, which class would have more applications to physics?

Higher geometry I description is:
Studies the foundations of modern geometry by examining axiomatic systems for various geometrics, with an emphasis on non-Euclidean hyperbolic geometry.

Partial differential equations description is: Infrequent. Initial/Boundary value problems for first-order, wave, heat and Laplace Equations; maximum principles; Fourier Series and applications.

Thanks for the help!

Answers and Replies

Hi romsofia! :smile:

Partial Differential Equations should be of more use to you. In fact, PDE's are very important in physics!
The geometry class looks like it is a pure mathematics class, and as such will be of less use to you...

Hi romsofia! :smile:

Partial Differential Equations should be of more use to you. In fact, PDE's are very important in physics!
The geometry class looks like it is a pure mathematics class, and as such will be of less use to you...
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking partial differential equations would be more beneficial, but I wasn't sure :x.

Just to be sure, you said that you were about to enter college. Have you taken an ODE course yet? That may be a prereq.

Just to be sure, you said that you were about to enter college. Have you taken an ODE course yet? That may be a prereq.
Yeah, I have the prereqs for both classes :x.