1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial Differentiation Confusion

1. Jan 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} [/tex] where [tex]z=\left( [x+y]^3-4y^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=\frac{3(x+y)^2-8y}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}[/tex]
    but I am unsure whether [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] is the exact same or does not include the '-8y' in the numerator.

I get the feeling that when finding the derivative inside the square root (in z) that y should still be treated as constant and therefore have no -8y.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi RazerM! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(on this forum, you need to type "tex", not "TEX" :wink:)
    Yes, that's completely correct.

∂z/∂x means "keeping y constant", so that's exactly what you do! :smile:

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

So that means [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{3(x+y)^2}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}[/tex]?

5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

(nice LaTeX, btw :wink:)

6. Jan 5, 2010 #5

I taught myself to use LaTeX to help me with my Physics Investigation as part of Advanced Higher Physics (Highest level of physics taught in school - Scotland), we never got told to use it but no way was I using MS Office or Openoffice's limited equation typesetting, would have been a nightmare :P

7. Jan 5, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the many benefits of PF membership is that you can now use LaTeX as much as you like! :biggrin:

(in case you haven't found anything similar, a useful bookmark is http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000" [Broken] :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook