Partial Differentiation in free Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the partial derivatives for the given wavefunction are computed by taking regular derivatives while considering the other variables as constants. This means that the wavefunction is an eigenfunction of the partial derivative operators with corresponding eigenvalues.
karkas
Hello again! This time I have another calculus question for you, coming straight out of my study of the free Schrodinger equation, since I am not that experienced with that kind of derivative.

It all starts with a given wavefunction (which I think is 2-dimensional,correct me if wrong)
[itex]\psi(x,t)=e^{i(px-Et)}/\hbar[/itex] (1)

My book says|: We derive 3.4 according to t and x so we have:
[itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=-\frac{iE}{\hbar} \psi[/itex]
and [itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=\frac{ip}{\hbar}\psi[/itex].

What I don't understand is how this partial deriving works. What I can figure out is that given the (1) equation, you derive the [itex]i(px)/\hbar[/itex] and [itex]i(-Et)/\hbar[/itex] parts differently, one by one not together. Is that it? So you basically remove the e (2.71)(this must be the way to derive from exponential equations, I don't remember clearly though) and derive the power...partially?

Alas, I am confused.. Any understandable link or advice is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
karkas said:
Hello again! This time I have another calculus question for you, coming straight out of my study of the free Schrodinger equation, since I am not that experienced with that kind of derivative.

It all starts with a given wavefunction (which I think is 2-dimensional,correct me if wrong)
[itex]\psi(x,t)=e^{i(px-Et)}/\hbar[/itex] (1)

My book says|: We derive 3.4 according to t and x so we have:
[itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=-\frac{iE}{\hbar} \psi[/itex]
and [itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}=\frac{ip}{\hbar}\psi[/itex].

What I don't understand is how this partial deriving works. What I can figure out is that given the (1) equation, you derive the [itex]i(px)/\hbar[/itex] and [itex]i(-Et)/\hbar[/itex] parts differently, one by one not together. Is that it? So you basically remove the e (2.71)(this must be the way to derive from exponential equations, I don't remember clearly though) and derive the power...partially?

Alas, I am confused.. Any understandable link or advice is appreciated!

i have no idea what you said but

if

[tex]\psi(x,t)=e^\frac{i(px-Et)}{\hbar}[/tex]

then you compute the partial derivatives by taking regular derivatives while considering the other variables as constants. hence what the second and third equation say is that

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(x,t) = \frac{-iE}{\hbar}e^\frac{i(px-Et)}{\hbar}=\frac{-iE}{\hbar}\psi(x,t)[/tex]

this means [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] is an eigenfunction of the [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] operator with eigenvalue [itex] \frac{-iE}{\hbar}[/itex].

1. What is partial differentiation in the free Schrodinger equation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical operation used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping other variables constant. In the context of the free Schrodinger equation, partial differentiation is used to find the change in the wave function with respect to time or position.

2. Why is partial differentiation important in the free Schrodinger equation?

Partial differentiation is important in the free Schrodinger equation because it allows us to calculate the change in the wave function over time or space. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their future states.

3. How is partial differentiation applied in the free Schrodinger equation?

In the free Schrodinger equation, partial differentiation is applied to the wave function, which is a function of time and position. By taking the partial derivative of the wave function with respect to time or position, we can determine how it changes over time or space.

4. What are the benefits of using partial differentiation in the free Schrodinger equation?

Using partial differentiation in the free Schrodinger equation allows us to simplify the equation and solve for the wave function more easily. It also helps us understand the dynamics of the system and make predictions about its behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial differentiation in the free Schrodinger equation?

One limitation of using partial differentiation in the free Schrodinger equation is that it assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that the wave function does not change over time. This may not always be the case in real-world systems, so the results obtained from the equation may not be entirely accurate.