Partial Fraction Decomposition for (s^2+1)^2 - Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about breaking down the fraction \frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} into partial fractions. The attempt at a solution involved trying three different methods, but none of them worked. The conversation also included a hint to simplify the problem by considering the expressions 1/(s-i) ± 1/(s+i) and 1/(s-i)^2 ± 1/(s+i)^2. Further discussion involved combining these expressions with the ones previously attempted and considering the coefficients A, B, C, and D in the final solution.
wavingerwin

Homework Statement

How to break down:
[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
into partial fractions?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried:
[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{1}{(1+i)^{2}\times(1-i)^{2}} = \frac{A}{(s+i)} + \frac{B}{(s+i)^{2}} + \frac{C}{(s-i)}} + \frac{D}{(s-i)^{2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{As+B}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} + \frac{Cs+D}{(s^{2}+1)}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{As+B}{(s^{2}+1)} + \frac{Cs+D}{(s^{2}+1)}[/tex]

but none of them works..
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi v_bachtiar! :wink:

Why isn't 1/(s2 + 1)2) good enough as it is? :confused:

But if you do want to break it down further, your first try should have worked …

what did you get? :smile:

It is not good enough because I need to perform an inverse Laplace transform on the fraction.
And at my level, I only use tables and some basic theorems (convolution, shift in s etc.) and 1/(s2 + 1)2) is not on the table :(

I have attached my working using the first try..

Attachments

• Canon Scan B&W.jpg
    Canon Scan B&W.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 303
Hi v_bachtiar! :smile:

What makes you think A B C and D are real? :rolleyes:

Hint: to simplify it, what are 1/(s - i) ± 1/(s + i) and 1/(s - i)2 ± 1/(s + i)2 ? :wink:

They are 2s/(s2+1) or 0
and
(2s2-2)/(s2+1)2 or 4si/(s2+1)2

so..

(As-Ai+Cs+Ci) / (s2+1) + (B(s+i)2+D(s-i)2) / ((s2+1)2) = 1

and As-Ai+Cs+Ci = 2s , B(s+i)2+D(s-i)2 = 2s2-2

is this right?

oh, i mean:

(As-Ai+Cs+Ci) + (B(s+i)2+D(s-i)2) = 1

(just got up :zzz: …)
v_bachtiar said:
They are 2s/(s2+1) or 0
and …

No, 2s/(s2+1) or 2i/(s2+1) :redface:

ok, rewrite them as

(2s3+s)/(s2+1)2 or i(2s2+2)/(s2+1)2

Now can you see how to easily combine them with the others to get 1/(s2+1)2 ? :smile:

v_bachtiar said:

Homework Statement

How to break down:
[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}}[/tex]
into partial fractions?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried:
[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{1}{(1+i)^{2}\times(1-i)^{2}} = \frac{A}{(s+i)} + \frac{B}{(s+i)^{2}} + \frac{C}{(s-i)}} + \frac{D}{(s-i)^{2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{As+B}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} + \frac{Cs+D}{(s^{2}+1)}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{As+B}{(s^{2}+1)} + \frac{Cs+D}{(s^{2}+1)}[/tex]

but none of them works..
Please help
u can do as
A/s^2+1 + BX/(S^2+1)2

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz: …)

No, 2s/(s2+1) or 2i/(s2+1) :redface:

ok, rewrite them as

(2s3+s)/(s2+1)2 or i(2s2+2)/(s2+1)2

Now can you see how to easily combine them with the others to get 1/(s2+1)2 ? :smile:

hi tiny-tim,

you mean combine (add) them with (2s2-2)/(s2+1)2?

so 1 = (2s3+s) + (2s2-2)

then, where do I imply the A, B, C, and D? :confused:

(thank you for your help so far) :smile:

How about (2s2+2) and (2s2-2) ? :wink:

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to simplify rational expressions by breaking them down into smaller, simpler fractions. This can make it easier to solve equations and integrate functions.

2. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational expression?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, follow these steps:1. Factor the denominator of the rational expression.2. Write the rational expression as the sum of its partial fractions, with each fraction having a unique linear factor in the denominator.3. Set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the fractions and solve for the unknown coefficients.4. Substitute the solved coefficients back into the partial fractions and simplify.

3. What types of rational expressions can be simplified using partial fractions?

Partial fractions can be used to simplify any proper rational expression, meaning the degree of the numerator is smaller than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational expressions can also be simplified, but may require additional steps.

4. Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions can be useful in solving equations and integrating functions that involve rational expressions. By breaking down the rational expression into simpler fractions, we can often solve the problem more easily and accurately.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions?

Yes, partial fractions can only be used on proper or improper rational expressions. They cannot be used on irrational expressions or expressions with radicals. Additionally, partial fractions may not always give an exact solution and may require additional steps to find an approximate solution.