Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Surface Area of Oblate Spheroid?

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Basically I have a horizontal tank with elliptical heads on each end. Given any liquid height, I would like to calculate the surface area which is in contact with the liquid.

The heads can be represented by a general oblate spheroid described by equation (x2 + y2)/a2 + z2/c2 = 1.

I can compute the partial surface area for z=XXX to YYY by taking the surface of revolution about the z-axis (ie for a vertical tank).

However how can I calculate the partial surface area for x=XXX to YYY?

I am not looking for a closed form equation, just something I can numerically integrate.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you could parametrize the oblate spheroid as follows:
    [tex]x=a\sin\phi\cos\theta,y=a\sin\phi\sin\theta, z=c\cos\phi, 0\leq\phi\leq\frac{\pi}{2},0\leq\theta\leq{2\pi}[/tex]
    Note that these are tweaked spherical coordinates!

Thus, the surface [tex]\vec{S}[/tex] can be represented as:
    [tex]\vec{S}(\phi,\theta)=a\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+a\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+c\cos\phi\vec{k}[/tex]

Local tangent vectors are then given by the partial derivatives of [tex]\vec{S}[/tex]:
    [tex]\vec{T}_{\phi}=\frac{\partial\vec{S}}{\partial\phi}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{T}_{\theta}=\frac{\partial\vec{S}}{\partial\theta}[/tex]

The local, infinitesemal area element is then the area of the parallellogram spanned by the infinitesemal tangent vectors [tex]\vec{T}_{\phi}d\phi,\vec{T}_{\theta}d\theta[/tex]; and that equals [tex]||\vec{T}_{\phi}\times\vec{T}_{\theta}||d\phi{d}\theta[/tex]

We therefore get that the area A of one end can be calculated as:
    [tex]A=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}||\vec{T}_{\phi}\times\vec{T}_{\theta}||d\phi{d}\theta[/tex]

which is some sort of elliptical integral, I think.
    EDIT:
    At least, it should be something like:
    [tex]A=2ac\pi\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin\phi\sqrt{1+\frac{a^{2}-c^{2}}{c^{2}}\cos^{2}\phi}{d}\phi[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm, on further thought, this should be exactly solvable!
    Set [tex]u=\epsilon\cos\phi,\epsilon=\sqrt{\frac{a^{2}-c^{2}}{c^{2}}}[/tex]
    Thus, we get:
    [tex]du=-\epsilon\sin\phi{d\phi}[/tex], or :
    [tex]A=-\frac{ac\pi}{\epsilon}\int_{\epsilon}^{0}\sqrt{1+u^{2}}du=\frac{ac\pi}{\epsilon}\int^{\epsilon}_{0}\sqrt{1+u^{2}}du[/tex]
    Setting [tex]u=Sinh(v)[/tex], and we readily integrate the expression!

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the reply...however it has been many years since my high school/college days and I'm having a bit of a hard time following the transformation...

If the liquid level in the tank is X, how would I go about determining the limits of integration?

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, one half of the oblate spheroid should, if I did this correctly (I forgot a factor of 2 from my next to last post), be:
    [tex]A=\pi(ac\frac{Sinh^{-1}\epsilon}{\epsilon}+a^{2}), \epsilon=\sqrt{\frac{a^{2}-c^{2}}{c^{2}}},a\geq{c})[/tex]
    Note that this yields half the sphere's surface area when a=c.

I'm sure you can find out the rest of your answer by yourself.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook