Particle Accelerator Experiment

In summary: This 12 year old son recently created a homemade particle accelerator, with help from his grandfather, for his upcoming science fair. Below is his description and youtube video link. The particle accelerator appears to produce X-rays when the voltage is applied. There is potential for harm if this device is not properly handled.
treeworks
My 12 year old son recently created a homemade particle accelerator, with help from his grandfather, for his upcoming science fair. Below is his description and youtube video link. Any insight would be helpful.

"Hi, I just made this particle accelerator and I was confused on what I was seeing. I was using a copper anode and the test started just as I had seen in other online videos. I had a non-fixed 18 kv power supply and 60 cm of vacuum. There was a constant purple stream touching the anode with about an inch of crooke's effect. After about 45 seconds the stream turned white like it usually does when the bottle gets hot and the contaminant is killed. Then, all of the sudden there was a huge discharge. The stream came down in a tornado-like fashion then went back up and there was just a swirling white tornado touching the side with 3 inches of crooke's effect. There were a few electric lighting- light strikes at the end of the anode before it repeated the process. I have a video below. Please let me know your thoughts."

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's crazy! I don't know what's causing it, but it looked really cool!

Drakkith said:
Wow, that's crazy! I don't know what's causing it, but it looked really cool!
Might be cool looking, but I sure hope PF had no part in helping with this project. (Which, from my experience, it did not)

Crookes Tube
When the voltage applied to a Crookes tube is high enough, around 5,000 volts or greater, it can accelerate the electrons to a fast enough velocity to create X-rays when they hit the anode or the glass wall of the tube.

From my experience, X-rays were defined as ionizing radiation. Not a good thing for a 12 year old to be playing around.

I may be overstating the dangers here, as I'm not an x-ray technician, nor have I researched such things for more than the last 30 minutes, but:

Chapter[/PLAIN] [Broken] 4
X Rays and Gamma Rays:
Crookes Tubes and Nuclear Light

many amateurs have built x-ray sources this way, although this is no longer a very popular activity because of the inherent or perceived hazard of an unshielded x-ray source.

bolding mine

ps. I'm listening to the Toccata Fugue in D minor, at the moment. hmmmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been removed form moderation and is viewable again. Treeworks, you should know that there's been some concern over the safety of this device regarding the production of X-Rays. Please, please make sure you, your family, and anyone else remains safe by checking up on this as soon as possible, preferably prior to the science fair. One of the mentors mentioned possibly getting one of the x-ray detection badges that x-ray technicians wear.

In the meantime, since this thread isn't on how to build a particle accelerator, the mentors have decided to let it remain open for the time being.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a particle accelerator experiment?

A particle accelerator experiment is a scientific process that involves using high-powered machines to accelerate and collide particles at incredibly high speeds. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and understand the laws of physics.

2. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles, such as protons or electrons, to near the speed of light. These particles are then steered and controlled by magnets and other devices, and eventually collide with each other or a target material, producing data that can be analyzed by scientists.

3. What are the benefits of conducting particle accelerator experiments?

Particle accelerator experiments have many benefits, including advancing our understanding of the universe, discovering new particles, and improving technologies such as medical imaging and cancer treatment. They also allow scientists to test and validate theories in physics and push the boundaries of scientific knowledge.

4. What are some examples of particle accelerator experiments?

Some examples of particle accelerator experiments include the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, which discovered the Higgs boson particle, and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, which played a key role in the development of the World Wide Web. Particle accelerators are also used in medical research, such as proton therapy for cancer treatment.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with particle accelerator experiments?

While particle accelerator experiments are generally safe, there are some potential risks involved. These include radiation exposure, the production of unstable particles, and the potential for accidents due to the high energies involved. However, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to minimize these risks.