Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Particle accelerator question -- when the protons "crash" particles are created

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question., but I'll ask anyways. So in particle accelerators when the protons "crash" particles are created because of the extremely high amount of energy(example of e=mc^2?)? Is that correct? Also, where do these particles come from? The Higgs boson was detected so maybe from another dimension? I apologize if this question is elementary haha

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2017 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The particles are a result of the energy to mass conversion.

4. Jun 25, 2017 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

yes.

Nowhere, they are created (with some probability) because the energy needed is available during the collision (and they can be produced)...

No need for extra dimensions...

5. Jun 25, 2017 #4
    So what determines the type of particles that get made? Do even higher energy collisions bring about different particles than the lower ones? If the Higgs boson can just be made from nowhere, why do physicists assume that it exists everywhere in our known universe just because it matches the characteristics of the theoritical boson?

6. Jun 25, 2017 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Any process (which results to some particles) that doesn't violate your assumed conservation laws is possible... The probability is taken by theoretical considerations.
    For example in the collision of two protons, 2 gluons may "fuse" to produce a Higgs particle which will later on decay to let's say 2 photons, 4 leptons (by decaying to ZZ) , 2 leptons (prefering heaviest leptons, eg ditau), or even to quarks (especially heavy b-quarks, which will hadronize) etc...
    Of course the production of the HIggs is way less probable than the gluons fusing to produce other gluons or quarks... That's 1 reason why it was so amazing that the Higgs was found: within such a large background, like finding a needle in the haystack (if not less probable).

I don't understand the question.
    If there are very massive particles, probing higher energies can allow you to search for them...
    If for example you collide electron/positrons at 1GeV, you will probably not see Z being produced (needing 90GeV just to be produced at rest)...only if you are able to see its tails around the pole, but still at 3GeV I don't think you can.

Nobody assumes that Higgs bosons exist everywhere... the Higgs field does, as all the other fields, but fields are nothing but mathematical constructs which allow you to describe particle physics...

7. Jun 25, 2017 #6
    whats the connection between the boson and the Higgs field? Also thank you for the descriptive answer, I appreciate it,

8. Jun 25, 2017 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

the connection between the two is that without a Higgs field (as introduced in the standard model) you can't have the higgs boson (which is the physical degree of freedom that is left from the higgs field after the spontaneous symmetry breaking)...
    The discovery of the higgs boson with the features predicted by the standard model indicates that your theory of electroweak theory + spontaneous symmetry breaking from a scalar field is the 'way to go' to describe stuff.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted