Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Particle antiparticle collide, teleportation?

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    Hi physicists!

When a particle and antiparticle collide, (annihilation) as i understand, it in some cases transform and radiate light, which I can buy. But what happen in the teleportation part, where the particle antiparticle pair accurs in an other part in the universe? Do someone have some concept that can explain this phenomenon?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In quantum teleportation, it is a quantum state that is teleported, not a particle. If you do it with massive particles, starting from three particles, you can transfer the state of particle 1 to particle 3 (via entanglement with particle 2). No particle gets destroyed in the process.

4. Oct 20, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your answer. So its a matter of quantum teleportation. Can one say that the new "teleported pair/quantum stage" gets the energy of the original paricle-antiparticle pair minus the energy of the photon that gets di-excitated at the location where the collide happen? And it is the rest energy that gets teleportated?

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4
    And how do one calculate on it? :)

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5

DrClaude

I didn't say that. I don't see what your scenario with particles/anti-particles has to do with quantum teleportation.

Only quantum states can be teleported, not energy.

7. Oct 29, 2016 #6

Thanks. Did not you say it was a matter of quantum state teleportation? Is it the probability of where I might find the energy that get teleported? And if so, is it not the same thing as say the energy get "teleported"?

Any how, the question was what happen when a particle/anti-particle collide and get teleported.

As i understand it know from your description, the particle-antiparticle collide, a photon can be made. AND the quantum stage of the particle/Antiparticle pair get teleported? I found that very strange since then we create a photon from nothing, therefore my counterquestion was if the teleported particle/antiparticle pair gets have their original energy minus the energy of the photon? Or do I get this whole thing totally wrong in terms of perspective? :)

8. Oct 29, 2016 #7

Nugatory

You do.

Have you read and understood the link that DrClaude posted back in post #2 of this thread?

9. Oct 29, 2016 #8

Yes! In some sense I got the concept of quantum stage teleportation. BUT, if i got it all wrong, what is it that happens during and after the collide, in a briefly summary, and in a complex description? Or is this a thing no one knows and thats why I cant find good information about it and cant even get the Phd. guys at the university to explain it?

10. Oct 29, 2016 #9

Nugatory

The collision between a particle and an antiparticle is completely unrelated to quantum teleportation.

The particles collide and they produce a pair of photons. Now we have a pair of photons just like any pair of entangled photons; that they came from a particle-antiparticle annihilation is pretty much irrelevant.

We can teleport one of these photons if we wish, but as should be clear from teh wikipedia article, the word "teleport" is really quite unfortunate. We aren't moving any energy, we aren't moving the photon anywhere, all we're doing is complicated series of steps that eventually makes a photon somewhere else look a lot like our original photon. (More formally, we've duplicated the state of the original photon, but all that means is that any measurement of any property of the new photon will produce the same result that a measurement of the old one would have given).

11. Nov 1, 2016 #10
    Ah okey, thanks for your answer! Now I have a clearer picture :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted