Particle calculation during a solar proton event

I'm trying to figure out how many particles would bombard an astronaut during a solar proton event. NASA says the most possible is around 43,000 particle flux units (pfu)."John: "First I'm calculating steradians, assuming a person is 1m^2, 1/(1E9)^2=1E-18. My calculation yields (43000 pfu)(10^4 cm^2)(10^-18 steradians)(1day) = 0.0000371 protons. But this doesn't seem accurate compared to how deadly these events are supposed to be. Thoughts?"Dave: "Where does your estimate for the solid angle come from? It corresponds to a source size of just
yoyopizza
Trying to figure out how many particles would bombard an astronaut during a solar proton event. Given that the most possible is around 43,000 particle flux units (pfu) according to NASA.
First calculating steradians, assuming a person is 1m^2, 1/(1E9)^2=1E-18.
My calculation yields (43000 pfu)(10^4 cm^2)(10^-18 steradians)(1day) = 0.0000371 protons, which does not seem to be accurate, as I am led to believe by how deadly these solar proton events are supposed to be. If 0.0000371 protons is the max while most events have pfu's less than 100, I think something must be wrong with this calculation, likely the steradian part. Thoughts?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does your estimate for the solid angle come from? It corresponds to a source size of just about 150 meters.

yoyopizza said:
Trying to figure out how many particles would bombard an astronaut during a solar proton event

the info is readily available and considering your tagged your thread "I", I'm surprised you haven't done your research

top left of this well known site gives the current conditions
http://www.spaceweather.com/

At the time of writing this it was
Solar Wind speed: 371.9 km/sec
Wind density: 3.8 protons/cm3

Dave

1. What is a solar proton event?

A solar proton event (SPE) is a type of solar radiation storm that occurs when high-energy protons are emitted from the sun during a solar flare or coronal mass ejection. These events can last for hours to days and can affect the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere.

2. How are particles calculated during a solar proton event?

Particle calculations during a solar proton event involve measuring the energy and number of protons being emitted from the sun and tracking their movement through space. This can be done using instruments on satellites, as well as ground-based detectors.

3. What is the purpose of calculating particles during a solar proton event?

The main purpose of calculating particles during a solar proton event is to better understand the effects of these events on Earth's atmosphere and technology. This information can also be used to improve space weather forecasting and protect astronauts and satellites from harmful radiation.

4. How do solar proton events impact Earth?

Solar proton events can have a variety of impacts on Earth, including disrupting radio communications, causing power grid failures, and increasing radiation exposure for astronauts and airline passengers. They can also create colorful auroras in the polar regions.

5. Can solar proton events be predicted?

While scientists can monitor the sun for signs of solar activity that could lead to a proton event, they cannot accurately predict when one will occur. However, advances in space weather forecasting are helping to improve our ability to anticipate and prepare for these events.