Particle displacement by a speaker in a gas tube

In summary, the problem at hand involves a speaker generating waves in a gas-filled tube with a closed end at x=0 and the speaker located at x=1. The motion of the membrane is described by s=s_0 sin(\omega t) and the wavelength is \lambda. The speaker creates two progressive waves, s1 and s2, which are expressed as Acos(kx+wt) and -Acos(kx-wt) respectively. By applying the boundary conditions at x=0 and x=1, it is possible to find a solution for the standing wave problem, which is given by s_{tot}=2s_0cos(\omega t)sin(kx). However, to meet both boundary conditions,
beyondlight
A speaker is generating waves in a gas that is closed in a tube. The tubes closed end is at x=0 and the speaker is at x=1. The motion of the membrane is given by

[tex]s=s_0 \cdot sin(\omega t)[/tex]

How does the particle displacement vary with x and t? The wavelength is [tex]\lambda[/tex]I do not know how to solve it. But i thougt of expressing it like this:

[tex]s_1=s_0 sin(kx + \omega t)[/tex] (wave due to speaker oscillation, traveling from x=1 to x=0)

[tex]s_2=s_0sin(kx - \omega t)[/tex] (reflected wave at x=0 traveling to x=1)

The problem is that the reflected wave is reflected again and again...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
there is standing wave. do you know what it is?

Yes i know what it is. If we solve it as a standing wave problem then we have:

[tex]s_{tot}=2s_0cos(\omega t)sin(kx)[/tex]

Boundary condition: [tex]s_{tot}=0 [/tex] at x=0

According to the answer in my book it is a bit different, but x and t are separate from each other in the sinusodial functions as my suggestion above.

Any hint for me?

please

You've got the right idea, but you need to be a bit more flexible with your choice of phases of progressive waves. You have to choose them so that their sum conforms to the boundary conditions at x=0 and x=1.

Yours fit at x=0, because sin(kx) =0, and s1 + s2 must indeed be zero next to the wall.

But things aren't right at x=1. The speaker diaphragm moves according to sin(wt), whereas your s1 + s2 varies as cos(wt). May I suggest you try the progressive waves s1 = Acos(kx+wt) and s2 = -Acos(kx-wt). Then express the difference of two cosines as a product. It comes out as a product of sines, so you can meet both boundary conditions.

I don't really know how to do...

If we put a boundary condition at x=1 as:

s=2scos(wt)sin(k)

now what?

But i recognized that this should also be a fact:

2scos(wt)sin(k)=sin(wt) this should also help i think

Did you add the two progressive waves that I recommended you try? Use the standard trig formula cos([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) - cos([itex]\varphi[/itex]) = 2sin[([itex]\vartheta[/itex] +[itex]\varphi[/itex])/2] sin[([itex]\vartheta[/itex] -[itex]\varphi[/itex])/2].

You should then find that s1 +s2 is the product of an x-dependent sine and a t-dependent sine. s1 +s2 automatically disappears when x = 0, just as it should at a wall. It also agrees with the motion of the membrane at x = 1, as given in the question, provided that A =...

1. What is particle displacement by a speaker in a gas tube?

Particle displacement by a speaker in a gas tube refers to the movement of gas particles caused by the vibrations of a speaker. As the speaker produces sound waves, the gas particles in the tube are pushed and pulled, creating a displacement in their position.

2. How does particle displacement affect sound production in a gas tube?

Particle displacement is crucial for sound production in a gas tube. As the gas particles are displaced, they create regions of high and low pressure, which correspond to the compressions and rarefactions of sound waves. This results in the production of audible sound.

3. What factors can affect the level of particle displacement by a speaker in a gas tube?

The level of particle displacement in a gas tube can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the sound waves produced by the speaker, the length and diameter of the tube, and the properties of the gas inside the tube.

4. How is particle displacement measured in a gas tube?

Particle displacement in a gas tube can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a displacement sensor or a laser interferometer. These devices can detect and quantify the movement of gas particles caused by the vibrations of the speaker.

5. What applications does the study of particle displacement in a gas tube have?

The study of particle displacement in a gas tube has several applications, including understanding the physics of sound production and propagation, improving the design of speakers and acoustic systems, and developing new technologies for measuring and manipulating sound waves.