Particle in a Box: Find Potential Energy U of x

  • Thread starter Thread starter cscott
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
cscott
Messages
778
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



In a region of space, a particle with zero total energy has a wave function
[tex]\Psi (x) = Axe^{-x^2/L^2}[/tex]

Find the potential energy U as a function of x.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand how this particle can have zero total energy? Wouldn't this imply that the potential energy is simple 0 everywhere...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, would I have to describe the potential like we do for an infinite square well?
 
Use time-independent Schrödinger eqn.

Zero total energy means that PE=-KE.
 
So with E = 0 I can say [tex]\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} = -\frac{2mU}{\hbar ^2} \Psi[/tex]

which mean I can get solutions just like in my text but I don't what I can apply as boundary conditions or how to get U in terms in x.
 
Last edited:
Divide both sides by psi(x) to get U(x).

psi(x) already obeys the relevant boundary conditions.
 
Ah I see now :P I feel kind of stupid :\

Thanks!
 
i would lke to b informed how to prepare a lab report on the Hall Effect hopping that i will b given an intensive help over the matter
N.B...i did the experment of the hall effect when a moving conducter moves through a magnetic fild while two variable resistors of 8 and 16 ohms connected to it and the source and the ammeters so as to had the observation
hopping that i will b directed sufficently
urs faithfully......