Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Particle in a box, find the frequency of collisions

1. Jul 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a particle of mass m in box of length L, how would you find the frequency of collisions on a given wall and the momentum of each collisions?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Should I start with the equation for the root-mean-square-velocity? How can one derive the freqeuncy of collisions from that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2
    Well, if initially the particle has velocity [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], then after the collision, its velocity should be [tex]-e\vec{v}[/tex], where e is the coefficient of restitution. Assuming that there is no other force acting on the particle (air resistance etc...), the particle would take time [tex]t=\frac{L}{ev}[/tex]. Hence, the frequency of collision is [tex]f=\frac{ev}{L}[/tex].

After the first collision, the velocity was ev, after the second one it will be [tex]e^2v[/tex], and hence, after the nth one it will be [tex]\vec{v(n)}=(-1)^ne^n\vec{v}[/tex]. Therefore, the momentum after each collision will be mev, [tex]-me^2\vec{v}[/tex], and after the nth collision [tex]\vec{p(n)}=(-1)^nme^n\vec{v}[/tex].

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3
    Hmmm. I asked the first part of the question hoping the second half would be obvious after that. But since it is not, let me ask the whole question:

We are given a classical particle with energy E (from which we know its velocity [tex]\sqrt{2E/m}[/tex]. We want the frequency with which it collides with a given wall, the momentum transfer per collision, and finally the average force.

So the frequency as you said is [tex]f=\frac{ev}{L}[/tex] and the momentum transfer (I think) would be -e, where e is the coefficient of restitution. So would the average force be:

momentum transfer per collision * collisions / time

?

I'm not sure but I do not think the answer should have a coefficient of restitution in it?

5. Jul 21, 2007 #4
    I guess the momentum transfer per collision will be |p(n)|-|p(n-1)|. This would give you [tex]\del p(n)=m\vec{v}e^{n-1}(e-1)[/tex].

The average force per collision should be momentum transfer per collision*frequency of collision.

Perhaps there's another way to do this, but I think by this method, you WILL have the coefficient of restitution present in the solution expression.

6. Jul 21, 2007 #5
    to get the answer in my book, I think you have to pretend the particle is bouncing back and forth with no vertical velocity component and that the collisions are perfectly elastic. Then,

[tex] p = \sqrt{2Em} [/tex]

and the change in momentum per collision is 2p and the frequency of collisions are 2Lm/p. So the average force would be

[tex] \Delta p / \Delta t = 2E/L [/tex]

Am I right about the need to make those assumptions?

7. Jul 21, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are right. This is probably a question intended to compare a quantum situation with classical, right?

8. Jul 22, 2007 #7
    Yeah. Probably. But then I dont think the momentum transfer will be with the mod values, but with the vector values.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook