Particle in a box, find the frequency of collisions

In summary: The momentum transfer per collision would be |p(n)|-|p(n-1)|. This would give you \del p(n)=m\vec{v}e^{n-1}(e-1).
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Given a particle of mass m in box of length L, how would you find the frequency of collisions on a given wall and the momentum of each collisions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I start with the equation for the root-mean-square-velocity? How can one derive the freqeuncy of collisions from that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if initially the particle has velocity [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], then after the collision, its velocity should be [tex]-e\vec{v}[/tex], where e is the coefficient of restitution. Assuming that there is no other force acting on the particle (air resistance etc...), the particle would take time [tex]t=\frac{L}{ev}[/tex]. Hence, the frequency of collision is [tex]f=\frac{ev}{L}[/tex].

After the first collision, the velocity was ev, after the second one it will be [tex]e^2v[/tex], and hence, after the nth one it will be [tex]\vec{v(n)}=(-1)^ne^n\vec{v}[/tex]. Therefore, the momentum after each collision will be mev, [tex]-me^2\vec{v}[/tex], and after the nth collision [tex]\vec{p(n)}=(-1)^nme^n\vec{v}[/tex].

Hmmm. I asked the first part of the question hoping the second half would be obvious after that. But since it is not, let me ask the whole question:

We are given a classical particle with energy E (from which we know its velocity [tex]\sqrt{2E/m}[/tex]. We want the frequency with which it collides with a given wall, the momentum transfer per collision, and finally the average force.

So the frequency as you said is [tex]f=\frac{ev}{L}[/tex] and the momentum transfer (I think) would be -e, where e is the coefficient of restitution. So would the average force be:

momentum transfer per collision * collisions / time

?

I'm not sure but I do not think the answer should have a coefficient of restitution in it?

I guess the momentum transfer per collision will be |p(n)|-|p(n-1)|. This would give you [tex]\del p(n)=m\vec{v}e^{n-1}(e-1)[/tex].

The average force per collision should be momentum transfer per collision*frequency of collision.Perhaps there's another way to do this, but I think by this method, you WILL have the coefficient of restitution present in the solution expression.

to get the answer in my book, I think you have to pretend the particle is bouncing back and forth with no vertical velocity component and that the collisions are perfectly elastic. Then,

[tex] p = \sqrt{2Em} [/tex]

and the change in momentum per collision is 2p and the frequency of collisions are 2Lm/p. So the average force would be

[tex] \Delta p / \Delta t = 2E/L [/tex]

Am I right about the need to make those assumptions?

I think you are right. This is probably a question intended to compare a quantum situation with classical, right?

Yeah. Probably. But then I don't think the momentum transfer will be with the mod values, but with the vector values.

1. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a certain space or potential well.

2. How do you find the frequency of collisions for a particle in a box?

The frequency of collisions for a particle in a box can be found by using the formula f = (n^2 * h^2)/(8*m*L^2), where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the box.

3. What is the significance of finding the frequency of collisions for a particle in a box?

The frequency of collisions for a particle in a box is important because it helps us understand the probability of the particle interacting with the walls of the box and how this affects its behavior and energy levels.

4. How does the frequency of collisions change with different values of the quantum number n?

The frequency of collisions increases as the quantum number n increases. This means that particles with higher energy levels or larger values of n are more likely to collide with the walls of the box.

5. Can the frequency of collisions be used to determine the energy levels of a particle in a box?

Yes, the frequency of collisions is directly related to the energy levels of a particle in a box. Using the formula for frequency of collisions, we can calculate the energy levels of the particle and understand its behavior within the box.