1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Particle in infinite well which is suddenly expanded

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well I thought this problem was easy, turned in the homework and got it wrong. My prof is hard to get help from, so hopefully someone here can help me out. A particle is in a one dimensional infinite square well with walls at x=0 and x=L. At time t=0 the well is expanded to width 2L. What is the probability the particle will be in the nth stationary state of the expanded well? I bet a lot of people have seen this before apparently it's a pretty popular problem.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\left\langle\Psi_{f}\left|\Psi_{i}\right\rangle = d_{n} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{L}\int sin(\frac{n \pi x}{2 L})sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})dx[/tex]

So I'm pretty sure I'm right so far, and the problem is just to evaluate the integral. I was sure the solution was

[tex]d_{n}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} [/tex] if n=2

[tex]d_{n}= 0 [/tex] if n not = 2

But apparently the answer is

[tex] d_{n}= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] if n=2
    [tex]d_{n}= \frac{4}{\pi}\frac{1}{(n^{2}-4}[/tex] if n is odd
    [tex]d_{n}= 0 [/tex] otherwise

I can plug the integral into mathematica and of course it gives me the right answer. But I have seen integrals like this hundreds of times in solving PDE's, and they always go like I first thought. What is the difference here? This is causing me a ridiculous amount of cognitive dissonance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of the sines has a 2L in the denominator while the other has just L. That's the difference.

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3
    The integral is the Fourier transform of the [tex]sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex] in the new well.
    From your result, I guess the initial wave function may not be the ground state of the of the old well ([tex]sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex])
    or your integral use a different domain (note the integration from 0 to L is different from 0 to 2L) because the wavefunction is 0 within L to 2L
    I have not tried it though.

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4
    I realize that. I just don't see why it makes any difference. For n=8 there might as well be a 4 in the numerator and just L in the denominator. How the heck do I explicitly evaluate this so I can prove the answer to myself?

6. Apr 10, 2010 #5

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If your problem is evaluating the integral, first substitute θ = πx/L and convert the sines to exponentials. Then

[tex]sin(n\theta/2)sin(\theta)=-\frac{(e^{i n\theta/2}-e^{-i n\theta/2})(e^{i \theta}-e^{-i \theta})}{4}[/tex]

Multiply out the terms and you will get four integrals that look like

[tex]\int^{\pi}_0 e^{i(n/2+1)\theta}d\theta=\left[ \frac{e^{i(n/2+1)\theta}}{i(n/2+1)}\right]^{\pi}_0[/tex]

or, after you multiply out the terms you should be able to recognize sines and/or cosines and integrate them.

In either case, eventually, you should be able to combine the answer to a real number and the role of the 2 in the denominator should become obvious.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook