Particle in one dimensional potentional well

Furthermore, the fact that you can plug it into the equation and have both sides equal proves that the wavefunction is a legitimate solution for x>0.
derp267
I hope this is in the right place, I'm new here. Anyway, my teacher hasn't shown us an example where U is anything but infinity, Uo, or 0 and I'm completely stumped on part B for this question since U is a function of x

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in a one-dimensional potential well:
U(x)={infinity...x<0
{-hbar^2/mbx...x>=0

The normalized wave function is:
Ψ (x)={0...x<0
{Axe^(-x/b)...x>=0

Where b and A are constants.
a) Describe in words or equations how you would evaluate A( you do not need to actually evaluate for A).
b) Prove that the above Ψ (x) for x>=0 is an acceptable wave function
c) Find the total energy of the particle. Express your answer in the simplest terms

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this on paper already and I don't know how to type an integral or anything so I just made a picture..apologies for the bad handwriting
http://imgur.com/OV8RN

So do I make -2mE/hbar^2 -k^2? Then I'm still left with -2/bx and I don't think I can use eulers method with that..I'm stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you didn't make any algebra errors, your math is correct so far. Since you're trying to prove that Ψ (x) is a solution for x>0, plug their wavefunction into your final equation and see if the left and right sides equal one another. Remember that you can adjust the constant E to try to make the two sides equal, but E is a constant, so it can't depend on x.

Thanks for your relpy. Okay so I did as you said and plugged in Axe^(-x/b) for Ψ and did some algebra. Then I did the second derivative of Ψ(x) and set them equal to each other.

What I end up with is the following:
http://i.imgur.com/mflUG.png

So does that mean that E=(-hbar^2)/(2mb^2)?

Assuming your algebra is right, yes. That's the energy which corresponds to the given wavefunction.

I would like to first commend you for seeking help and clarification on this topic. It is important to fully understand the concepts and equations involved in order to successfully solve problems and conduct research in the field of physics.

Regarding the particle in a one-dimensional potential well, it is important to understand the concept of a potential well and how it affects the motion and energy of a particle. In this case, we have a potential well that is infinite for x<0 and decreases as x increases for x>=0. This means that the particle is confined to the region x>=0 and cannot exist for x<0.

To evaluate the constant A in the normalized wave function, we can use the normalization condition, which states that the integral of the square of the wave function over all space must equal 1. In this case, since the wave function is 0 for x<0, we only need to integrate over the region x>=0. Using the given wave function, we can set up the integral as follows:

1 = ∫|Ψ(x)|^2 dx
1 = ∫A^2x^2 e^(-2x/b) dx
1 = A^2 ∫x^2 e^(-2x/b) dx

At this point, we can use integration by parts to evaluate the integral. After solving for A, we can plug in the value of A into the wave function to get the normalized wave function.

To prove that the above Ψ (x) for x>=0 is an acceptable wave function, we can use the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The Schrödinger equation for this system is given by:

-ĤΨ(x) = EΨ(x)

Where Ĥ is the Hamiltonian operator, E is the energy of the particle, and Ψ(x) is the wave function. By plugging in the given wave function, we can show that it satisfies the Schrödinger equation for x>=0. This proves that it is an acceptable wave function for this system.

Finally, to find the total energy of the particle, we can use the energy operator, which is given by:

Ê = -ĥ^2/2m * d^2/dx^2 + U(x)

By plugging in the given potential function, we can solve for the energy of the particle

1. What is a particle in a one-dimensional potential well?

A particle in a one-dimensional potential well refers to a theoretical model in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a limited space, such as a potential well, and can only move along a single dimension.

2. How is a one-dimensional potential well created?

A one-dimensional potential well can be created by using physical barriers, such as walls or barriers, to confine the particle to a specific region. It can also be created using an external potential, such as an electric field, which acts as a potential well for the particle.

3. What is the significance of a one-dimensional potential well in quantum mechanics?

A one-dimensional potential well is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it allows us to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which has many applications in fields such as nanotechnology and solid-state physics.

4. How do the energy levels of a particle in a one-dimensional potential well compare to those of a free particle?

The energy levels of a particle in a one-dimensional potential well are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values, unlike a free particle, which can have a continuous range of energy levels. This is due to the confinement of the particle in the potential well.

5. What happens to the particle in a one-dimensional potential well when the potential is changed?

When the potential of a one-dimensional potential well is changed, the energy levels of the particle will also change. This can result in the particle having different probabilities of being found in different regions of the potential well, and can also affect its overall behavior and motion within the well.