Probability Density in an infinite 1D square well

In summary, the wave function of a particle of mass m confined in an infinite one-dimensional square well of width L = 0.23 nm, is:ψ(x) = (2/L)1/2 sin(3πx/L) for 0 < x < Lψ(x) = 0 everywhere else. The energy of the particle in this state is E = 63.974 eV.
gv3

Homework Statement

The wave function of a particle of mass m confined in an infinite one-dimensional square well of width L = 0.23 nm, is:
ψ(x) = (2/L)1/2 sin(3πx/L) for 0 < x < L

ψ(x) = 0 everywhere else. The energy of the particle in this state is E = 63.974 eV.

1) What is the rest energy (mc2) of the particle?
ANS: 511133.6 ev

2) P(x) is the probability density.
That is, P(x)dx is the probability that the particle is between x and x+dx when dx is small.
For how many values of x does P(x) = 5 nm-1?
ANS: 6 values of x

3)What is the largest value of x for which P(x) = 5 nm-1?
ANS: ?

Homework Equations

P(x)=∫|ψ(x)|2dx

E=h2n2/(8mL2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 2 i only know its 6 because the question was multiple attempts. i don't know how to get that answer mathematically. I thought that by integrating P(x) squared and then solving for the x's would give me the 6 values of x but its not making sense to me. After i have the 6 values, then the answer to question 3 is just the largest value of x.

Physics news on Phys.org
gv3 said:
For how many values of x does P(x) = 5 nm-1?
You have all you need.
P(x)dx= ψ*ψ dx = (2/L) sin2(3πx/L)dx
Solve
P(x) = 5 nm-1

kuruman said:
You have all you need.
Solve
P(x) = 5 nm-1

so set the integral equal to 5nm-1 right?

After integrating i get 5=(x/L)-(1/6π)sin(6πx/L) How do you even solve for x?

You don't integrate.. If you integrate x drops out and you get just a number, i.e. the probability that the particle be found within the limits of integration. You need to find at what values of x the probability density has the given value. It looks like you are confusing "probability" with "probability density". They are not the same.

Likes gv3
kuruman said:
You don't integrate.. If you integrate x drops out and you get just a number, i.e. the probability that the particle be found within the limits of integration. You need to find at what values of x the probability density has the given value. It looks like you are confusing "probability" with "probability density". They are not the same.
Ok I got it. Thank you. The answer was .21 nm. Originally when I first solved it I got .021nm and the homework said I was off by a power of ten. Do you know why it could be off? Also could you explain to me why question 2 is 6 values of x

gv3 said:
Do you know why it could be off?
Not unless you reproduce and show me what you did.
gv3 said:
Also could you explain to me why question 2 is 6 values of x
Plot P(x) as a function of x from 0 to L and you will see.

kuruman said:
You have all you need.
Solve
P(x) = 5 nm-1
I solved this and couldn't get 6. i tried with my calculator in radians and degrees.

Here is the plot of P(x) vs. x. Note that the 5 nm-1 line crosses the plot at 6 points.

gv3.png

Likes gv3
kuruman said:
Here is the plot of P(x) vs. x. Note that the 5 nm-1 line crosses the plot at 6 points.

View attachment 196861
Ah ok. I was graphing the wrong thing. Thanks for helping me! Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is probability density in an infinite 1D square well?

Probability density is a measure of the likelihood of finding a particle in a certain position within an infinite 1D square well. It is represented by a function that describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular point within the well.

2. How is probability density calculated in an infinite 1D square well?

Probability density is calculated by taking the square of the wave function, which describes the behavior of a particle within the well. This calculation gives the probability of finding the particle at a specific point within the well.

3. What is the significance of probability density in an infinite 1D square well?

Probability density is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles within the well and make predictions about where they are most likely to be found. It also helps us understand the quantum mechanical nature of particles and their wave-like behavior.

4. How does the width of the well affect the probability density in an infinite 1D square well?

The width of the well has a direct impact on the probability density. As the width of the well increases, the probability density becomes more spread out, indicating a higher likelihood of finding the particle in a larger region. Conversely, a narrower well results in a higher probability density in a smaller region.

5. Can probability density ever be negative in an infinite 1D square well?

No, probability density cannot be negative in an infinite 1D square well. This is because the wave function, from which probability density is calculated, is always positive. Thus, the square of the wave function, which gives the probability density, will also always be positive.