1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Density in an infinite 1D square well

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1

gv3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function of a particle of mass m confined in an infinite one-dimensional square well of width L = 0.23 nm, is:
    ψ(x) = (2/L)1/2 sin(3πx/L) for 0 < x < L

ψ(x) = 0 everywhere else. The energy of the particle in this state is E = 63.974 eV.

1) What is the rest energy (mc2) of the particle?
    ANS: 511133.6 ev

2) P(x) is the probability density.
    That is, P(x)dx is the probability that the particle is between x and x+dx when dx is small.
    For how many values of x does P(x) = 5 nm-1?
    ANS: 6 values of x

3)What is the largest value of x for which P(x) = 5 nm-1?
    ANS: ?
    2. Relevant equations
    P(x)=∫|ψ(x)|2dx

E=h2n2/(8mL2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For question 2 i only know its 6 because the question was multiple attempts. i don't know how to get that answer mathematically. I thought that by integrating P(x) squared and then solving for the x's would give me the 6 values of x but its not making sense to me. After i have the 6 values, then the answer to question 3 is just the largest value of x.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have all you need.
    P(x)dx= ψ*ψ dx = (2/L) sin2(3πx/L)dx
    Solve
    P(x) = 5 nm-1

4. Apr 19, 2017 #3

gv3

so set the integral equal to 5nm-1 right?

5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

gv3

After integrating i get 5=(x/L)-(1/6π)sin(6πx/L) How do you even solve for x?

6. Apr 19, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't integrate.. If you integrate x drops out and you get just a number, i.e. the probability that the particle be found within the limits of integration. You need to find at what values of x the probability density has the given value. It looks like you are confusing "probability" with "probability density". They are not the same.

7. Apr 19, 2017 #6

gv3

Ok I got it. Thank you. The answer was .21 nm. Originally when I first solved it I got .021nm and the hw said I was off by a power of ten. Do you know why it could be off? Also could you explain to me why question 2 is 6 values of x

8. Apr 19, 2017 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not unless you reproduce and show me what you did.
    Plot P(x) as a function of x from 0 to L and you will see.

9. Apr 24, 2017 #8

gv3

I solved this and couldn't get 6. i tried with my calculator in radians and degrees.

10. Apr 24, 2017 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is the plot of P(x) vs. x. Note that the 5 nm-1 line crosses the plot at 6 points.

gv3.png

11. Apr 25, 2017 #10

gv3

Ah ok. I was graphing the wrong thing. Thanks for helping me! Sorry for the confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted