1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle on a Ring Applications

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Six of the electrons from benzene C6H6 form a delocalized conjugated π-bond. We will model it as a "particle on a ring" with ring radius a, particle (electron) mass m, and "moment of inertia" I = ma2. After obtaining the energy diagram, we will fill in these 6 electrons. Please estimate the energy (in Joules) of a single delocalized π electron in the specific state shown above. Assume the radius a = 0.15 nanometers. (Hint: Just like the "quantum square" or particle in a 1-D box" problem, one can estimate the quantum number or which state from the number and structure of the nodes)

d0fz4Iw.png

2. Relevant equations

E = n2 * (h-bar)2 / (2 * I)
    h-bar = reduced Planck's constant = h / (2 * pi)
    I = ma2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure where to go with this problem, I don't really understand this problem since this is one of those "extended knowledge" problems not generally covered. I know, after solving the energy formula, that each energy state n after 0 can hold 4 electrons since there is a positive and negative energy state n, and each n holds 2 electrons. Therefore on the energy level diagram, n=0 holds 2 electrons and n>0 holds four electrons. I'm pretty sure you just plug in numbers to the energy equation, but I have no idea how to determine the n's.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There is just one n to determine to answer the question:
    To do that, you need to use the hint
    So, in the particle in a box, what is the relation between n and the nodes?

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, the n's are quantum numbers. These are integers.

The first relevant equation uses unfortunate choices for quantum numbers. The particle on a ring is an interesting example to show the quantization of angular momentum. In the first equation, the quantum number "n" is actually a measure of the electron-bead's angular momentum. If you imagine an electron-bead living/spinning around on the ring, what might its angular momentum be? You could have a ground-state (non-moving) electron, delocalized over the entire ring (n=0). With a moving electron/bead (n<>0) how might it be moving? As you note, n can be positive or negative, and n=-1 and n=1 states have the same energy (you alluded to "positive and negative energy states" which is not quite right -- all of the energies in this >= 0.

You will have an "energy level" with n=0, whose energy is E0 = 0; a degenerate pair of |n| = 1 levels, whose energy you can calculate; a degenerate pair of |n| = 2 levels, whose energy you can caclulate; etc. You have six pi electrons to fill these levels -- you do this just like you did in atoms (Aufbau + Pauli) in general chemistry. The total energy is the sum of the energies of the individual electrons.

What important interaction is this problem neglecting?

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doh! Forgot the point of the problem. The n=0 electron is delocalized over the whole ring (no nodes). The |n|=1 electrons are moving, they have a de Broglie wavelenth. How could you fit something with a wavelength into the ring (this is like the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom)? If you draw the picture of the wave, are there any nodal planes? How many? A higher |n| will be for an electron with a shorter de Broglie wavelength. What do these waves look like? How do the number of nodal planes change as the de Broglie wavelength decreases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted