1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 12 chemistry homework help -- 2n^2 electrons possible in each energy level

1. Mar 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A classmate says "Since there are 2n^2 electrons possible in each energy level, and the atom with the greatest number of electrons has 118 electrons, that must mean that u is the highest possible value for n, because a value of 7 gives 2n^2 = 98 nad a value of 8 gives 2n^2=128.
    2. Relevant equations

a) state two problems with this reasoning
    b)How many energy levels are there for a given atom
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I said the problem for his reasoning was that the value of n can range from n=1 to n= infinity for a) and for b) I've said that there are an infinite amount of energy levels in an atom.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2
  4. Mar 23, 2017 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

When I was born element with the highest electron count had only 103 electrons.

Also, I never had more than $10.000 on my bank account. Does it mean $10.000 is the largest amount of money bank account can hold?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted