1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle shot in a flat FRW universe

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is Hartle 18.3 and reads: "Consider a flat FRW model whose metric is given by (18.1). Show that, if a particle is shot from the origin at time t*, with a speed v* as measured by a comoving observer (constant x,y,z), then asymptotically it comes to rest with respect to a comoving frame. Express the comoving coordinate radius at which it comes to rest as an integral over a(t)."

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]ds^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)\left[dx^2+dy^2+dz^2\right]=ds^2=-dt^2+a^2(t)\left[dr^2+r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2\right][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Consider the initial 4-velocity. Using polar coordinates,
    [tex]u^r=V_*[/tex]
    By the normalization condition, I can find [tex]u^t[/tex], and so I get the full initial 4-velocity:

[tex]u^{\alpha}_0=\left(\sqrt{1+a^2(t_*)V_*},V_*,0,0\right)[/tex]

My thought is to evolve this 4-velocity in time to derive an expression for [tex] u^r(t)[/tex] which I can integrate from t* to infinity to find the resulting final position.

So, from the geodesic equations I have:
    [tex]\frac{d u^t}{d\tau}=-\Gamma^t_{\alpha \beta} u^\alpha u^\beta = -\frac{1}{2}g^{tt}g_{rr,t}(u^r)^2=-a(t)\dot{a}(t)(u^r)^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d u^r}{d\tau}=-\Gamma^r_{\alpha \beta} u^\alpha u^\beta = -\frac{1}{2} g^{rr}g_{rr,t} u^t u^r = -\frac{\dot{a}(t)}{a(t)} u^t u^r = -H_0(t) u^t u^r [/tex]
    Note: I'm using the comma notation for differentiation.

I can't think of any way to solve these equations. This is further muddled by the fact that the scale factor a is a function of t, which is mixed with tau, and it's a whole big mess.

Any help?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted