Particles and Wigner little groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (2.5.5) from Weinberg's Quantum Field Theory book, which defines the states of momentum p as a linear combination of states with different values of sigma. The conversation questions whether this definition is valid and if it is related to the particle's spin. It is noted that this definition is a convenient choice of basis for the representation theory of the Poincare group.
Mesmerized
Hello, from Weinberg's Quantum Field Theory book I am confused about the equation (2.5.5). I'll describe the problem briefly here, but in any case, here's that page from Weinberg's book (page 64) http://books.google.am/books?id=h9k...crRhAeM1rWgAQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here's the question. First Weinberg shows that [tex] U(\Lambda)\Psi_{p,\sigma} = \Sigma_{\sigma '} C_{\sigma'\sigma}(\Lambda,p) \Psi_{\Lambda p,\sigma} [/tex] (2.5.3)
([tex]\Lambda[/tex] is and arbitrary Lorentz transformation, the index p means the state is the eigenvector of momentum with eigenvalue p, sigma represents all the other degrees of freedom)and then says that different particle types correspond to different irreducible representations of Lorentz group, i.e. such matices C, which are not block diagonal (simga, as it turns out later, is the particle spin). And then he goes on to show that such irreducible representations can be obtained from representations of the Wigner little groups, which are groups, containing all the Lorentz transformations that leave some defined "standard" momentum k invariant.
For that he first writes: We can define the states
[tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma}[/tex] of momentum p by
[tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma} \equiv N(p) U(L(p))\Psi_{k,\sigma}[/tex]. (2.5.5)
and then the logic leading to Wigner little groups is straightforward (k is the standard momentum, belonging to the same type as p, i.e. with the same length as p and k0 has the same sign as p0).
My question is: Can we really define the states [tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma}[/tex]?? In general on the left hand side of (2.5.5) should be not exactly [tex]\Psi_{p,\sigma}[/tex], but a linear combination of such states with different sigmas, as in (2.5.3). Instead Weinberg somehow defines it with the same sigma on the left and right hand sides in (2.5.5). Isn't it the same thing, as to say that if in one inertial frame some particle has spin projection +1/2, it will have the same spin projection in other inertial frame, related to the previous by Lorentz transformation L(p)? Considering that p varies within a very large range (it is confined only by it's length and the sign of p0), it is very doubtful. Or maybe (2.5.5) is just a trick that makes the rest calculations easier and we'll get the same result in any case (though I couldn't do that)?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a particularly convenient choice of basis concerning the representation theory of the Poincare group. It's called the Wigner basis. Weinberg shows, how the representation of the little group, acting on the subspace with [itex]p=k[/itex], to the corresponding representation of the full (proper orthochronous) Lorentz group, using this choice of a basis.

thanks for the answer. from the pure mathematical point of view I agree, cause then we may consider the index sigma as just a numerical sign to enumerate the basis vectors and we are free to choose the basis vectors as we want. But from the point of view of quantum mechanics, the index sigma has a very definite meaning, it's the value of S_z and for instant takes the values +1/2 or -1/2, and when we write the same index in both sides of (2.5.5) we infer that after making the Lorentz transformation, we will still have an eigenvector of S_z with the same eigenvalue. Right?

1. What are particles and Wigner little groups?

Particles are fundamental units of matter that make up the universe. Wigner little groups are mathematical groups that describe the symmetries of particles, such as their spin and momentum.

2. How are particles and Wigner little groups related?

Particles are classified into different types based on their symmetries, and the Wigner little groups help to define these symmetries. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in physics.

3. What is the significance of Wigner little groups in quantum mechanics?

Wigner little groups play a crucial role in the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, helping to explain the symmetries of particles and their interactions. They also provide a way to classify particles and their properties.

4. How do Wigner little groups relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Wigner little groups are used in this model to classify particles and explain their symmetries, making them an essential component of the theory.

5. Are there any practical applications of Wigner little groups?

While Wigner little groups are primarily used in theoretical physics, they have also found applications in other fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. They are also used in particle accelerators to manipulate and study particles.