1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle's velocity,acceleration and force

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle P, with mass m, moves under the influence of a force. At time t the position vector of P, according to observer O in an inertial frame S, is given by x(t)=(r cos(ωt),r sin(ωt),ut)

(i) Differentiate the position vector, to obtain the velocity vector at time t.

(ii) Show that the kinetic energy of P is constant and give its value.

(iii) Differentiate the velocity vector, to obtain the acceleration vector at time t.

(iv) Show that the magnitude of the force acting on P is constant and give its value.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) v(t)=(-r ωsin(ωt),r ωcos(ωt),t)

(ii) KE = 1/2* m * v^2

KE is constant as velocity is constant.

v(t)=(-r ωsin(ωt),r ωcos(ωt),t)

v^2(t)= (-r ωsin(ωt),r ωcos(ωt),t) ^2

-r ωsin(ωt), after squaring = -r ^2ω^2 sin^2 (ωt),
    r ωcos(ωt),after squaring r^2 ω^2cos^2(ωt),
    t after squaring= t^2

KE value= 1/2* m * [-r ^2ω^2 sin^2 (ωt),r^2 ω^2cos^2(ωt),t^2]

(iii) v(t)=(-r ωsin(ωt),r ωcos(ωt),t)

a= [(-r ω^2 cos(ωt),-r^2 ωsin(ωt)]

(iv) F=ma
    F= m [(-r ω^2 cos(ωt),-r^2 ωsin(ωt)]

force is constant as accelration is constant.
    are these answers correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

As you've made a little differentation error in (i) (d(ut)/dt != t), in (ii) you've ended up with a wrong expression for the KE. As you can see, with the t2, your expression is most certainly not constant w.r.t. time.

I should also point out that v2 = |v|2, ie. you should end up with a scalar quantity in (ii). Use the fact that sin2x + cos2x = 1 to prove KE constant.

In (iii) you've dropped out a component of a (it is zero, so this is just a minor point, but it looks as if a is a vector of R2 instead of R3).

As for (iv), you haven't shown that the acceleration is constant (and this would be a difficult task, as it isn't), so you shouldn't really use that to prove the magnitude of the force is constant. Emphasis on "magnitude".
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?