1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator perturbation

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator of frequency ω0:
    H0 = 1/2m p2 + m/2 ω02 x2

Let the oscillator be in its ground state at t = 0, and be subject to the perturbation
    Vˆ = 1/2 mω22 cos( ωt )at t > 0.

(a) Identify the single excited eigenstate of H0 for which the transition amplitude is nonzero in first-order time-dependent perturbation theory. Calculate this amplitude explicitly.
    (b) Calculate the dominant term of the first-order transition probability to the state identified in (a) for ω = 2ω0. Give a condition for which this result becomes meaningless.

2. Relevant equations
    H = H0 + V

3. The attempt at a solution
    Used the above equation to start my solution
    ended up with something in the form of

H = p2/2m + m/2 (ω02 + ω2cos( ωt )) x2

I am unsure as to how to keep going and find the eigenstates of H0. I thought it was more intuitive to solve for the eigenstates of H not H0. And I'm also not quite sure how to find the transition amplitude. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But you are not asked to find the eigenstates of H, you are asked to find out things in terms of the eigenstates of H0. In addition, the eigenstates of H are time dependent, which leads you to further complications. You only need to apply simple first order perturbation theory using the properties of the harmonic oscillator here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted