Particular nuclide to become half its initial value

In summary, the decay constant (lambda) is a number that is used to calculate the half-life of a radioactive material. The half-life is the time taken for the activity of a radioactive material to fall to half of its initial value.
_Mayday_
I know that half-life is the time taken for the activity of a particular nuclide to become half its initial value. But I do not understand the equation that I have "learned" relating to it.

[tex]T^{1/2} = \frac{0.69}{\lambda}[/tex]

I am not sure what any of the letters of symbols stand for. I have looked them up, but they still don't make sense to me.

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = Decay Constant
[tex]0.69[/tex] = Natural Logarithm
[tex]T^{1/2}[/tex] = Half life?

Is the decay constant given? How would you go about finding the decay constant in an experiment with a Geiger Muller Counter and a radioactive source?

What does the natural Logarithm stand for or mean?

Sorry these are probably quite trivial questions, but I have looked and once I know what they are and why they are, I can work out in my mind how it works, and do soem firther work. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of nuclei present at time t is given by

[tex]N=N_0e^{-\lambda t}[/tex]

When [itex]t=T_{\frac{1}{2}},N=\frac{N_0}{2}[/itex]

Now when you sub that into the first equation and simplify you will get

[tex]T_{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{ln2}{\lambda}[/tex]

As for the experiment you could measure the count-rate(Activity) and then plot activity vs. time and then find the half-life then use the equation relating decay constant and half-life

Last edited:
How would I find the half life, using an activity vs. time graph?

_Mayday_ said:
How would I find the half life, using an activity vs. time graph?

Choose some value for Activity(A), then find the time for that value of A, then find the time for A/2...then A/4 and so forth. Then find the average of those times and that is the half-life

Ok, I understand the first bit, about picking the activity and then seeing what time it correspnds to. But I don't uderstand the A/2 and A/4 bit? Why is it A/2? Am I still just picking any activity and seeign what it corresponds to?

And how do i calculate the activity?

_Mayday_ said:
But I don't uderstand the A/2 and A/4 bit? Why is it A/2? Am I still just picking any activity and seeign what it corresponds to?

No. The half-life is the time taken for the activity to fall to half of its initial value.
_Mayday_ said:
And how do i calculate the activity?

From the GM counter. Measure the background radiation first(Call this [itex]a_0[/itex]). Then measure the activity from the radioactive source in some time intervals.(call this [itex]a_1[/itex]). Then the activity at that time is given by [itex]A=a_1-a_0[/itex].

rock.freak667 said:
No. The half-life is the time taken for the activity to fall to half of its initial value.

From the GM counter. Measure the background radiation first(Call this [itex]a_0[/itex]). Then measure the activity from the radioactive source in some time intervals.(call this [itex]a_1[/itex]). Then the activity at that time is given by [itex]A=a_1-a_0[/itex].

Sorry about the first question, that is a common case of me not thinking :frown:

Ok using the GM counter how will i measure the activity? Is the activity simply the number of counts??

_Mayday_ said:
Is the activity simply the number of counts??

Yes, I believe so.

Thanks, I understand now!

1. What is a nuclide?

A nuclide is a specific type of atom that is characterized by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. It is often represented by its atomic symbol, such as carbon-14 or uranium-235.

2. What does it mean for a nuclide to become half its initial value?

When a nuclide undergoes radioactive decay, it splits into smaller particles and releases energy. The time it takes for half of a sample of a particular nuclide to decay is called its half-life. So, becoming half its initial value means that half of the original sample has decayed.

3. How is the half-life of a nuclide determined?

The half-life of a nuclide is determined by studying its rate of decay over time. Scientists can measure the amount of the original sample that remains after a certain amount of time has passed and use this information to calculate the half-life.

4. Why is the concept of half-life important in nuclear science?

The concept of half-life is important because it allows scientists to accurately predict the rate of decay of a nuclide and the amount of time it will take for a sample to decay completely. This information is crucial in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and archaeology.

5. Can a nuclide have multiple half-lives?

Yes, a nuclide can have multiple half-lives. Each time a half-life passes, half of the remaining sample will decay, and the process will continue until the entire sample has decayed. The number of half-lives required for a sample to decay completely depends on the specific nuclide and its half-life.