Age of Meteorite: Calculating Half-Life

In summary, the problem statement involves determining the age of a meteorite based on the ratio of stable Argon atoms to radioactive Potassium atoms. The correct ratio is ## \frac{N_{s}}{N_r}=10.3 ## and with the formula ## N(t) = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and the value of ## \lambda = \frac{ln2}{T_{1/2}} =\frac{ln2}{1.25 \cdot 10^9 } ##, the age of the meteorite is 4.37 billion years, taking into account the significant digits required.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem statement
The ratio between stable Argon atoms(##^{40}Ar##) and radioactive Potassium atoms(##
^{40}K##)in a meteorite is 10.3. Assume that these Ar atoms are produced by decay of Potassium-atoms, whose half-life is ## 1.25 \cdot 10^9 ## years. How old is the meteorite?
Translated from Swedish.

The attempt at a solution
Radiactive decay can be calculated with ## N(t) = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## where t is time and lambda is constant. Half-life gives us ## \frac{1}{2} = N_0e^{- \lambda t}##

And we know that
## \frac{N_{r}}{N_s}=10.3 ## and ##N_{r} + N_s = N_0## thus ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ##
## N(t) = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ## give us ##\frac{N_0}{11.3} = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ## t=4.3 \cdot 10^9 ## which is wrong :/.

Can someone help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem statement
The ratio between stable Argon atoms(##^{40}Ar##) and radioactive Potassium atoms(##
^{40}K##)in a meteorite is 10.3.

## \frac{N_{r}}{N_s}=10.3 ##
The way I read it, there is 10.3 times more argon than potassium, not the other way around.

Likes Rectifier
DrClaude said:
The way I read it, there is 10.3 times more argon than potassium, not the other way around.
Tanks for the reply!

So it should be:
## \frac{N_{s}}{N_r}=10.3 ## and ##N_{s} + N_r = N_0## thus ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ##
## N(t) = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ## give us ##\frac{N_0}{11.3} = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ## t=4.3 \cdot 10^9 ##

and I get the same answer :D

Rectifier said:
Tanks for the reply!

So it should be:
## \frac{N_{s}}{N_r}=10.3 ## and ##N_{s} + N_r = N_0## thus ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ##
## N(t) = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ##N_r = \frac{N_0}{11.3} ## give us ##\frac{N_0}{11.3} = N_0e^{- \lambda t}## and ## t=4.3 \cdot 10^9 ##

and I get the same answer :D
I didn't notice that you had made a second error cancelling the first one!

I notice now that
Rectifier said:
Half-life gives us ## \frac{1}{2} = N_0e^{- \lambda t}##
is not correct.

What is the value of ##\lambda##?

Likes Rectifier
DrClaude said:
I didn't notice that you had made a second error cancelling the first one!

I notice now that

is not correct.

What is the value of ##\lambda##?
Is it ## \lambda = \frac{ln2}{T_{1/2}}## ?

EDIT:
Thus ## \lambda = \frac{ln2}{T_{1/2}} =\frac{ln2}{1.25 \cdot 10^9 } ##

Rectifier said:
Is it ## \lambda = \frac{ln2}{T_{1/2}}## ?

EDIT:
Thus ## \lambda = \frac{ln2}{T_{1/2}} =\frac{ln2}{1.25 \cdot 10^9 } ##
That's correct.

I made the calculation myself, and find the same value as you. Why do say the answer is wrong?

Likes Rectifier
DrClaude said:
That's correct.

I made the calculation myself, and find the same value as you. Why do say the answer is wrong?

My teacher told me so. Well I guess that he is wrong then.

Rectifier said:
My teacher told me so. Well I guess that he is wrong then.
Didn't he give any hint as to what was wrong?

The only thing I can see is that your answer does not have the correct number of significant digits.

DrClaude said:
Didn't he give any hint as to what was wrong?

The only thing I can see is that your answer does not have the correct number of significant digits.
Ah sh*t :D
"Svara med två decimaler"

Then its 4.37 :D

Rectifier said:
Ah sh*t :D
"Svara med två decimaler"

Then its 4.37 :D
Precis!

You could also infer it from the fact that both the ratio and the half-life are given with three significant digits.

Likes Rectifier
DrClaude said:
Precis!

You could also infer it from the fact that both the ratio and the half-life are given with three significant digits.
Thank you for your help!

What is the Age of Meteorite?

The age of a meteorite is the amount of time that has passed since it was formed.

How is the Age of Meteorite Calculated?

The age of a meteorite is calculated using the concept of half-life. Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay into a stable form. By measuring the ratio of radioactive atoms to stable atoms in a meteorite, scientists can determine its age.

What is the Half-Life of a Meteorite?

The half-life of a meteorite can vary depending on the type of radioactive element present in the sample. For example, the half-life of uranium-238 is 4.5 billion years, while the half-life of carbon-14 is only 5,730 years.

Why is Calculating the Age of Meteorite Important?

Determining the age of a meteorite can provide valuable information about the history and formation of our solar system. It can also help scientists understand the processes that have shaped our planet and the universe.

What Factors Can Affect the Accuracy of Age Calculations for Meteorites?

The accuracy of age calculations for meteorites can be affected by a variety of factors, including contamination of the sample, uncertainty in the measurements, and the presence of different types of radioactive elements with varying half-lives.