Parting of the Red Sea 'may have happened'

• Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
In summary, the biblical parting of the red sea may have happened due to freak weather conditions, not the hand of Jehovah.
JaredJames
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...he-red-sea-may-have-happened-115875-22577691/

I'm not linking this as some evidence or support for religious claims in the bible, far from it. I'm actually more interested in the fact such a thing could happen:
But the event described in the Book of Exodus was probably more due to freak weather conditions than the hand of Jehovah.

A new computer modelling study suggests a powerful wind could have divided the waters just as depicted in the biblical story that has mystified scholars and inspired Hollywood film epics.

The likely location of the "miracle" was not the Red Sea as such, but a nearby spot in the Nile Delta region.

Nature never fails to surprise me in its awesome power.

Anyone else heard anything about this? What do you think of such a prediction / suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I've heard that it was a mistranslation. Not the "Red Sea, but the "Reed Sea." I have no doubt that the wind could have done something like temporarily dried out a marsh. I would seriously doubt a computer model that suggested wind could have supported large walls of water as in "Hollywood film epics," though.

Jack21222 said:
I've heard that it was a mistranslation. Not the "Red Sea, but the "Reed Sea." I have no doubt that the wind could have done something like temporarily dried out a marsh. I would seriously doubt a computer model that suggested wind could have supported large walls of water as in "Hollywood film epics," though.
Yeah, I can see a storm clearing a marsh.

Jack21222 said:

Of course Red and Reed are nearly identical words in Hebrew, right?

Also, I don't think the basis for biblical claims were Hollywood epics.

red -> אדום
קומוניסט

adjective
אדום
מסומק

reed -> קנה

סוף
קנה סוף
לשונית
גמי
אבוב
אבה
אגמון

Ivan Seeking said:
Of course Red and Reed are nearly identical words in Hebrew, right?

Don't look at me, I've actually heard a biblical literalist make this argument. This has not-safe-for-work language, but here's a video of such a person making this claim.

Starts at 5:20 in the above video.

Also, I don't think the basis for biblical claims were Hollywood epics.

I was just using words used in the link.

its sea of 'Suph'.

jarednjames said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...he-red-sea-may-have-happened-115875-22577691/

I'm not linking this as some evidence or support for religious claims in the bible, far from it. I'm actually more interested in the fact such a thing could happen:

Nature never fails to surprise me in its awesome power.

Anyone else heard anything about this? What do you think of such a prediction / suggestion?

I believe the Biblical account specifically states that a strong wind was responsible although it probably didn't look like it did in the Ten Commandments movie.

Hebrew:
jyw 05186 stretch out 60, incline 28 ...
hsm 04872 Moses 766
ta 0853 not translated
wdy 03027 hand 1359, by 44 ...
le 05921 upon, in ...
Myh 03220 sea 321, west 47 ...
Klwyw 01980 go 217, walk 156 ...
hwhy 03068 LORD 6510, GOD 4 ...
ta 0853 not translated
xwrb 07307 Spirit or spirit 232, wind 92 ...
Mydq 06921 east 50, east wind 10 ... (from 'before' 'fore part')
hze 05794 strong 12, fierce 4 ...
lk 03605 every thing, all ...
hlylh 03915 night 205, nights 15 ...
Mvyw 07760 put 155, make 123 ...
ta 0853 not translated
hbrxl 02724 dry land 4, dry ground 3 ...
weqbyw 01234 cleave 10, ...up 9 ...
Mymh 04325 water 571, piss 2 ...

7307 (ruwach):
wind 91, spirit 91, Spirit 34, breath 30, winds 11, mind 6, temper 5, spirits 4, side 4, strength 4, life 4, windstorm 3, breathe

remember the hebrew words are written right to left.

We know that nature can do these type/sort of things, for example in Earthquake zones, Tsunamis can create a drag back effect of the sea making it look like the sea is empty, however this does not occur by the water parting.

Drought might be another fundamental explanation for the story in the bible if it is indeed based on a observation and not a crackpot mind story.

The only other way of the affect of a meteorite could effective part the waters, but then again I'm not sure I'd want to cross water when a meterorite was crossing overhead.. indeed I'm not sure I'd survive to tell the story!

As for wind, even the strongest wind would be unlikely to cause this

The only option we're left with is that that particular story in the bible, was not based on an actual observation, but instead an imaginary moralistic view of the world.

Even if you believe that it is a "reed sea" or a large body of water, what makes this a miracle is that this event happened at a certain time and place.

rhmiddl said:
Even if you believe that it is a "reed sea" or a large body of water, what makes this a miracle is that this event happened at a certain time and place.
There is no proof that this even happened.

Do you believe that Aristotle lived? There is also no absolute proof that he lived either. Other than the testimonies and writings of others. Yet there seems to be even more testimonial and written documentation that the Red Sea crossing happened than whether or not Aristotle actually lived.

Regarding past events, all of us exercise faith in some way or another. It all depends on what sources we put our faith in.

rhmiddl said:
Regarding past events, all of us exercise faith in some way or another. It all depends on what sources we put our faith in.
We just need to make sure we don't claim things written about in history, especially when they get fanciful, as absolute truth or as miracles when there are little or no facts to corroborate it.

Of course a little water will eventually sprout life! That of course can't be denied or doubted-can it?

Radrook said:
Of course a little water will eventually sprout life! That of course can't be denied or doubted-can it?

I quite literally have no idea what you are trying to say. Could you clarify please?

1. Did the parting of the Red Sea actually happen?

There is no concrete scientific evidence to prove that the parting of the Red Sea, as described in religious texts, actually happened. However, some scientists believe that there may have been a natural event that caused a temporary parting of the sea, possibly due to strong winds or a low tide.

2. How could the Red Sea have parted?

One possible explanation for the parting of the Red Sea is a phenomenon known as a "wind setdown." This occurs when strong winds blow in a certain direction for a prolonged period of time, causing the water to recede and revealing a dry path. Another theory suggests that a low tide combined with strong winds could have caused the water to temporarily recede, allowing people to walk across the exposed sea floor.

3. Is there any historical evidence for the parting of the Red Sea?

There is no solid historical evidence for the parting of the Red Sea, as it is primarily described in religious texts. However, some historians believe that the event may have been inspired by a historical event, such as the crossing of the Sea of Reeds by the Israelites during their escape from Egypt.

4. Could a tsunami have caused the parting of the Red Sea?

While tsunamis are known to cause temporary receding of water and expose dry land, it is unlikely that a tsunami could have caused the parting of the Red Sea. Tsunamis typically occur in coastal areas, and the Red Sea is a relatively narrow body of water with no known record of major tsunamis in the past.

5. How does the scientific explanation for the parting of the Red Sea align with religious beliefs?

The scientific explanation for the parting of the Red Sea does not necessarily align with religious beliefs, as it suggests a natural occurrence rather than a miraculous event. However, some people may see the scientific explanation as a possible explanation for the miraculous event described in religious texts.