1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partition function for harmonic oscillators

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the partition function, the entropy and the heat capacity of a system of N independent harmonic oscillators, with hamiltonian ##H = \sum_1^n(p_i^2+\omega^2q_i^2)##
    2. Relevant equations
    ##Z = \sum_E e^{-E/kT}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not really sure what to do. From what I see this is not a quantum oscillator (and we haven't covered that in class anyway) so the E in the formula for partition function would have any value from 0 to infinity so It would turn into an integral. But this can be argued for a single classical harmonic oscillator, too, so I don't know where to use the fact that there are N of them.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like the Hamiltonian for a quantum mechanical HO, I would say. ##m## has been set to 1 for convenience. The link tells you energy levels, which you will need.

What are you summing over to get your partition function ? I don't see the oscillators (for example if there are 100 oscillators, how does that end up in your summation?)

Be sure to keep the numbering of the energy levels of a single oscillator and the numbering of the oscillators themselves well distinguished.

4. Feb 19, 2017 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_function_(statistical_mechanics) and read about the canonical partition function. The fact you have ##N## oscillators is reflected in the Hamiltonian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted