Partitioning 5 Rays: Nonempty Intersection

In summary, the problem is to show that a collection of 5 rays in the plane can be partitioned into two disjoint sets such that the intersection of their convex hulls contains a ray. The author has attempted to solve this as a homework question, but needs help in proving this claim. One possible approach is to use Radon's theorem, but the author is also open to other solutions.
jjjja
Misplaced Homework Thread moved to the schoolwork forums from a technical forum
I need to show the following thing: Given a collection of 5 rays (half-lines) in the plane, show that it can be partitioned into two disjoint sets such that the intersection of the convex hulls of these two sets is nonempty.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? What have you done so far to try to prove it?

jjjja said:
I need to show the following thing: Given a collection of 5 rays (half-lines) in the plane, show that it can be partitioned into two disjoint sets such that the intersection of the convex hulls of these two sets is nonempty.
Hi, I made this post in a hurry and was unaware of any forum etiquette, so I will explain the problem in more detail now. Sorry for the bad intro into the community.

About the problem, I am solving a homework. For one of the tasks, I am proving something and was given the hint to use this variant of Radon's theorem in one of the steps. I have managed to do the whole proof just assuming that this is true, but for the homework to be complete I need to prove the claim as well. However, I don't even have an idea on how to start it. So let me put it as follows:

Let ##\mathcal{R}=\{r_1,r_2,r_3,r_4,r_5\}## be a collection of rays in the plane. Show that there are disjoint and nonempty sets ##A## and ##B## which partition ##\mathcal{R}## such that ##conv(A)\cap conv(B)## contains a ray.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. The website won't let me preview my LaTeX, so I hope everything formats okay when I post. Sorry if anything messes up.

There might be a clever generalizable proof by using radon's theorem directly, but here's something kind of direct and low level. If you only have three rays, under what conditions can you form disjoint sets whose convex hulls intersect?

Likes berkeman
To just have a non-empty intersection you don't even need the rays, five points are sufficient. "contains a ray" is a new requirement in post 3 which makes the problem more interesting. As the convex hull of a ray already contains a ray one of the sets can be a single ray and you can show that there has to be a set of 4 rays that cover the fifth one.

1. What is meant by "partitioning" in the context of 5 rays?

Partitioning refers to dividing or separating into distinct parts. In the context of 5 rays, it means dividing them into subsets based on their properties or characteristics.

2. What does "nonempty intersection" mean in this scenario?

Nonempty intersection means that there is at least one common point or region shared by all 5 rays after they have been partitioned. In other words, there is an area where all 5 rays overlap or intersect.

3. Why is partitioning 5 rays and finding their nonempty intersection important?

This concept is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as geometry, physics, and computer science. It helps in understanding the relationships and connections between different objects or systems, and can also aid in problem-solving and optimization.

4. How is partitioning 5 rays and finding their nonempty intersection done?

The process involves analyzing the properties and characteristics of the 5 rays, and then dividing them into subsets based on those properties. The nonempty intersection can then be determined by finding the commonalities or shared points among the subsets.

5. What are some real-world applications of partitioning 5 rays and finding their nonempty intersection?

Partitioning and finding the nonempty intersection of 5 rays can be used in various applications, such as determining the optimal location for a cell phone tower, analyzing the paths of multiple moving objects, and identifying overlapping genetic traits in a population.