Parts, componets, and things that do stuff

• Thread starter maxsthekat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the conversation was about finding websites to order parts for incorporating into simple robot designs. The recommended websites included McMaster-Carr, Grainger, Digikey, Small Parts.com, Cole Parmer, Applied Industrial, and Motion Industries. Another option was to visit electronic surplus stores, such as Apex Electronics, or search for electronic surplus online.
maxsthekat
Parts, componets, and things that "do stuff"

Hi guys!

I'm actually an electrical engineering student, but I figured this might be more applicable here. I'm trying to find websites that are good for ordering parts such as bearings, shafts, gears, chains, cogs, and more. I'm planning on incorporating these items into simple robot designs; I've seen lots of "robot" sites with plenty of servo motors, but I'm having trouble finding anything really beyond this.

So, what sites do you like to order parts from? :)

thanks!

-Max

Engineering news on Phys.org

While McMaster-Carr is the most awesome-est company and website ever, you do have to be a bit careful in that they can add a good bit on to the price of some basic things. This is coming from someone who uses them on almost a daily basis, so I have a pretty good idea on this. Just do yourself a favor and shop around if you are watching your pennies. In a lot of cases, the convenience and extremely fast turnaround time is worth the extra bucks.

Other sites are:
Grainger
Digikey
Small Parts.com
Cole Parmer
Applied Industrial
Motion Industries

I'll try to think of more later. It's tough without my work bookmarks in front of me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Parts, componets, and things that do stuff

1. What are parts and components?

Parts and components are physical objects that make up a larger system or device. They can be anything from small electronic parts to larger mechanical components.

2. How do parts and components work?

Parts and components work by interacting with each other in specific ways to perform a desired function. For example, an electric circuit is made up of different parts and components that work together to allow electricity to flow and power a device.

3. What are some common examples of things that do stuff?

Some common examples of things that do stuff include electronic devices like computers and smartphones, mechanical devices like engines and motors, and biological systems like cells and organs.

4. How do scientists study parts, components, and things that do stuff?

Scientists study parts, components, and things that do stuff by using a variety of methods and techniques, such as experimentation, observation, and mathematical modeling. They also often collaborate with engineers and other experts to better understand and improve these systems.

5. Why is it important to understand parts, components, and things that do stuff?

Understanding parts, components, and things that do stuff is important because it allows us to develop and improve technologies, solve problems, and advance our understanding of the natural world. It also helps us to create more efficient and effective systems for a wide range of applications, from everyday devices to complex scientific and industrial processes.