Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path integral formulation of wave-optics

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    A few years back,I stumbled upon a nice idea which I am reporting below:-

Just as classical mechanics is the [tex] h \rightarrow 0 [/tex] limit of quantum mechanics(rather action >> [tex]\hbar[/tex],from path integral formulation),so should it be possible to argue from a path integral approach, that ray optics is the [tex] \lambda\rightarrow 0[/tex] limit of wave optics.What would such a path integral be?Here we go:-

The optical action may be written as
    [tex]
    S=\int \frac{ds}{v(x,y,z)}=\int dt,[/tex]
    where the symbols are self-explanatory.So the prob. amplitude for light/sound(or photon/..) to go from point A to point B may be written as
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\iota S/T_0},
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]
    where [tex]T_0[/tex] is the time period.

As long as [tex] S=\int dt [/tex] is not very large compared to [tex] T_0 [/tex],all conceivable ray paths between any two fixed points are possible,so that there is an uncertainty in the ray path taken by light/sound in going from one point to the other.

Specially interesting is the case of a photon.For a photon
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{1}{T_0}=\nu=\frac{E}{h}.
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]
    Hence for a photon,prob. amplitude to go from one point to the other is given as
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\iota ES/h},
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]
    i.e.
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    P=\sum_{all paths}\exp{\frac{\iota E\int dt}{h}}
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]

P.S. I am not able to see the latex graphics that I've generated in my browser--hope others are able to view it!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2
    i think it should be correct..but the action would come from the Eikonal equation:

[tex] (\nabla{S})^{2}=n^{2} [/tex] where n is the refraction index as a function of x,y,z,t...then the path integral for optics would be:

[tex] \int{D[r,t]e^{iS(r,t)/\hbar} [/tex]

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3
    The beauty about the form that I suggest is that for a photon using E=h\nu,we arrive naturally at the particle action(starting with the optical lagrangian/action).
    My quick impression is that your S(phase I believe) is nothing but my S(modulo T_0)/T_0*2\pi---don't know where you get the \hbar from.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4
    Eikonal equation should follow easily from my optical action S .[tex] \delta S=0[/tex] i.e. Fermat's principle should easily lead to the eikonal equation.
    The nice thing would be to show that the wave equation follows from this sum over paths approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?