Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli Matrices and Structure Constants

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,

I am trying to generate the Pauli matrices and am using the following formula taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SU(3)

"In the adjoint representation the generators are represented by (n^2-1)×(n^2-1) matrices whose elements are defined by the structure constants"

[tex](T_a)_{jk} = -if_{ajk}[/tex]

ok - I'm fine up to here. Now it says, "For SU(2), the generators T, in the defining representation, are proportional to the Pauli matrices, via:"

[tex]T_a=\frac{\sigma_a}{2}[/tex]

So here is my problem. I am assuming that j and k run from 1:2. This way T_a is a 2x2 matrix. But lets try this for the first Pauli matrix:

[tex](T_1)_{11} = -if_{111}=0[/tex]
    [tex](T_1)_{12} = -if_{112}=0[/tex]
    [tex](T_1)_{21} = -if_{121}=0[/tex]
    [tex](T_1)_{22} = -if_{122}=0[/tex]

[tex]
    \sigma_{1} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0\\0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Clearly I am doing something wrong...but what?????

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
    first of all here's a friendly advise : one might not want to truly learn something from wikipedia. democracy has its own problems.

anyways, please note that the smallest non-trivial matrix representation of dim n[tex]^{2}[/tex]-1 is for n=2, and the dim is 3. Pauli matrices are 2d reps. So you see all that follows this point need to be re-thought.

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?