Pauli Paramagnetism vs Curie Paramagnetism

In summary, Pauli Paramagnetism and Curie Paramagnetism are two types of magnetism that apply to different types of electrons. Pauli Paramagnetism is weaker because it only affects electrons near the Fermi surface, while Curie Paramagnetism affects all free electrons. This explains why metals, with delocalized electrons, follow Pauli Paramagnetism while Mott insulators, with localized electrons, follow Curie Paramagnetism. However, the mean field theory shows that in high temperatures, ferromagnets behave like Curie Paramagnets. This is due to local electron correlation and exchange interactions, which create local moments on iron atoms. There is no accurate way to calculate this behavior.
paultsui
As far as I am aware, Pauli Paramagnetism applies to electrons in bands while Curie Paramagnetism applies to localised electrons. Pauli Paramagnetism is usually much weaker because only the electrons near the Fermi Surface can change its spin to align with the magnetic field. On the other hand, since the electrons in a Curie Paramagnet is free, therefore all of them can change its spin - leading to a much higher magnetic susceptibility.

For example, since the conduction electrons in a metal are delocalised to from bands, I would expect metals to follow Pauli Paramagnetism. While electrons in a Mott insulator are localised, so they follow Curie Paramagnetism.

Everything seems to be fine to me until I come across the mean field theory, where one can show that Ferromagnets do behave like Curie Paramagnets in high temperature. This baffles me because if one thinks of iron, which is obviously a metal and have bands, I would expect it to behave like a Pauli paramagnet even in high temperature, but definitely not Curie Paramagnets. Could someone explains where did my logic go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
paultsui said:
This baffles me because if one thinks of iron, which is obviously a metal and have bands, I would expect it to behave like a Pauli paramagnet even in high temperature, but definitely not Curie Paramagnets. Could someone explains where did my logic go wrong?
Local electron correlation of the iron 3d electrons. There is still a Mott-Hubbard U and there are still local exchange interactions on the iron atoms, which gives local moments. The electronic structure does not really change much at the Curie temperature.

There is no good way to calculate this.

1. What is the difference between Pauli paramagnetism and Curie paramagnetism?

Pauli paramagnetism occurs in materials with unpaired electrons, while Curie paramagnetism occurs in materials with paired electrons.

2. How do Pauli and Curie paramagnetism affect the magnetic properties of a material?

Pauli paramagnetism causes the material to have a weak magnetic field, while Curie paramagnetism results in a stronger magnetic field.

3. Can both Pauli and Curie paramagnetism occur in the same material?

Yes, a material can exhibit both Pauli and Curie paramagnetism, depending on the number of unpaired electrons and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What is the main factor that distinguishes Pauli and Curie paramagnetism?

The main factor is the presence of unpaired or paired electrons in the material, which determines the strength of the magnetic field.

5. How do Pauli and Curie paramagnetism relate to each other in terms of temperature?

Pauli paramagnetism is dominant at low temperatures, while Curie paramagnetism becomes more significant at higher temperatures.