Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curie-Weiss law and paramagnetic materials

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    Good day

I am trying to find a list with various paramagnetic materials and their Curie transition temperatures. That is, the temperature for the phase transition from paramagnetic to ferromagnetic, in cooling the paramagnetic material.

I am looking for a easily obtainable paramagnetic material with a Curie transition temperature less than 290K, preferably not to low and with medium to high magnetic susceptibility.

This has proven difficult as the internet is overcrowded with information about the definition of the Curie temperature.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Klaus

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Try to get a piece of gadolinium from ebay. About the only material with a Curie temperature near room temperature.

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3
    From your description it seems that you are looking for a ferromagnetic material but you want to use it in its paramagnetic state.
    What is usually called "Paramagnetic" material does not have a Curie temperature.

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4
    "As stated above many materials that contain d- or f-elements do retain unquenched spins. Salts of such elements often show paramagnetic behavior but at low enough temperatures the magnetic moments may order. It is not uncommon to call such materials 'paramagnets', when referring to their paramagnetic behavior above their Curie or Néel-points, particularly if such temperatures are very low or have never been properly measured."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramagnetism#Systems_with_interactions

6. Jun 21, 2013 #5
    So this is what you are looking for?
    You want a list of materials with their never measured Curie temperatures? :smile::wink:

But I don't contest the fact that you can call them paramagnetic even if they have ferro- or antiferromagnetic phase. It's just that it was not clear (for me) what you are looking for.
    Sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook