Pauli spin matrices and Eigen spinors

So I have been studying the case of spin 1/2 and I have understood how the formulations work through to find the spin matrices. However I do not get an intuitive understanding of what they mean and why they are formulated the way they are. I follow Griffith's book and in it as he begins to solve the case for spin 1/2, he writes a general state for it which he calls a spinor and writes this
##[a\,b]^T =aX_++bX_{-}##
My first doubt is what does this general state mean? Isn't there only two states of spin, spin up and spin down?
and to find the matrices of ##S^2## and ##S_z## he uses their eigenvector equation to find that but why is the same method not employed for finding the matrices for ##S_x## ##S_y## ? He gets their respective matrices using a sum of raising and lowering operators Also he ends up with an eigen spinor with a different value. So am pretty much confused with how they came to be.

Answers and Replies

atyy
Science Advisor
There are not only two states of spin. The up state and the down state together form just one possible set of basis vectors. An arbitrary state is a linear sum or superposition of the basis vectors.

Spin is defined analogously to angular momentum http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node87.html

Likes tomdodd4598 and vanhees71