1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paying for Masters in Physics Secondary Ed.?

  1. Mar 8, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

    I've applied and been accepted to graduate programs in secondary education in physics/math. I will have a B.S. in physics by May, so the graduate degree is to give me the credentials to be certified to teach. My question is, do any of you know of scholarships or other ways that I can pay for the graduate education?

    While I'm totally happy with the fact that as a teacher I will likely not ever have lots of money, I also understand the math behind loans and don't want to dig too deep a hole...the programs I've applied to haven't been very helpful - most have said the aid aspect of things is the business of the financial aid department and not theirs. I've heard that some school districts will help you pay back the loan when you start teaching (even if you earned it before teaching) - can anyone confirm this? It seems to me for some odd reason there isn't much support from the actual universities for a masters of education degree, so I either grit my teeth and take the loans or find something else. Any help you all can provide would be wonderful.

    Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2
    Most districts forgive some student loans (not sure amount) if you work there for 5 years. If you do a MS in Physics or Math or Math Physics and not Second Ed Phy/Math, you should get a TA or RA. That would cover generally 3 classes a semester, require grading or teaching or running a lab class or doing research but would then pay you about 1600 a month as well. Maybe you can look in the Second Ed options if you want to paid to show up. Plus, you can still teach with that degree as well.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook