Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PBR Paper, Calculation of Outcome Probabilities

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to understand the PBR proof as explained in their paper on arXiv (http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.3328). I'm having trouble following the calculation of the probability of measurement outcomes on page 6 (A7). Specifically, going from the first line to the second line of A7, they seem to equate [itex]\langle x_1...x_n|H^{\otimes n}[/itex] with [itex](\Sigma_z (-1)^{x\cdot z}\langle z |)/\sqrt{2^n}[/itex]. I don't understand that equality, probably because I don't understand what the [itex]z[/itex]'s are or where they came from. Doesn't seem to be defined in the paper -- later in the paper it says [itex]z[/itex] is the sum over [itex]i[/itex] of [itex]z_i[/itex], but the [itex]z_i[/itex]'s don't appear to be defined.

If someone could clarify it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    I think I might see what it is now. It looks like they are treating tensor states like [itex]|\psi_{x_1}\rangle \otimes \ldots\otimes |\psi_{x_n}\rangle[/itex] as vectors in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] with coordinates [itex](x_1,...,x_n)[/itex] (which works out here despite the fact that the tensor space is really [itex]2^n[/itex] dimensional because all the states of the component systems are either (complex) multiples of |0> or |1>, no combinations thereof). Then the z's are the typical orthonormal basis elements of this n-dimensional space, and similarly the quantum state is "encoded" as an element of this basis denoted x, and the usual n-dimensional dot product is used. The math seems to work out if you assume this.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    I'm catching up on a huge backlog of papers I've been meaning to read for ages and only reached the PBR paper yesterday. I'm stuck on Appendix A, the stuff labelled A7. Maybe I don't understand how the inner product on the tensor product space works, but I can't see how they got from line 4 to line 5. According to my understanding it looks like a plus and some parentheses have gone missing.

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4
    Scratch that, I googled a bit and now it makes sense :) It also helped when I bothered to read a few lines lower that they are using |z| for what most people would have written as |z|^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook