PC Case Thermodynamics/Air Flow?

• Thread starter antd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow pc
In summary, the conversation discusses fan setup for a PC case with the goal of achieving low temperatures due to overclocking. The setup includes 5 new fans, with a net flow of air from front to back and exhaust fans at the top to remove hot air. It is recommended to balance the CFM in and out of the case or have more CFM going in than out.
antd
CopyofIMG_0976-1.jpg

S-FLEX = 1900RPM high CFM | 120mm fans
CM Stock = 1000 RPM low CFM | 120mm fans
Yellow = Intake
Blue = Exhaust

This is my PC Case and I'm buying 5 new fans. I overclock my computer, so I need as low temperatures as possible :)

Speaking from a scientific stand-point. Does it make sense to have #3 in that position? It seems as if the cool air coming from #1 will be sucked out immediately by #3?

I'm not sure what path the blowing air will take...

Hmm, just posting it here as scientists may be able to give the best advice. Sorry if it is the wrong forum :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
That basically looks like my fan setup, I think it should be fine. You just want to make sure you have a net flow of air from front to back in the case, and it's best to have your exhaust fans at the top of your case to exhaust hot rising air.

Another thing I wanted to mention, I find it best to balance the CFM in/out of the case, or failing that try to have more CFM going in than out. it looks like you've done this, so you're good in that respect too.

1. How does air flow affect the temperature inside a PC case?

Air flow plays a crucial role in regulating the temperature inside a PC case. Good air flow ensures that hot air is expelled from the case and replaced with cooler air, preventing the components from overheating. Poor air flow can lead to heat buildup and cause damage to the components.

2. What factors determine the air flow in a PC case?

The air flow in a PC case is determined by several factors, including the number and placement of fans, the size and design of the case, and the components inside the case. It is important to have a balance between intake and exhaust fans, as well as proper cable management to avoid blocking air flow.

3. How can I improve the air flow in my PC case?

To improve the air flow in your PC case, you can add more fans, clean the dust filters regularly, and ensure that there are no obstructions blocking the air flow. You can also consider upgrading to a larger case with better ventilation or using liquid cooling for more efficient heat dissipation.

4. What is the ideal temperature for a PC case?

The ideal temperature for a PC case is between 35-45 degrees Celsius. However, this can vary depending on the components and their individual operating temperatures. It is important to monitor the temperatures regularly and make adjustments to the air flow if necessary.

5. Can the placement of my PC affect its air flow?

Yes, the placement of your PC can affect its air flow. It is recommended to keep your PC in a well-ventilated area, away from walls or other heat sources. Placing it on a raised surface can also help improve air flow, as well as using a laptop cooling pad or elevating the case with rubber feet.