Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC Case Thermodynamics/Air Flow?

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    CopyofIMG_0976-1.jpg

S-FLEX = 1900RPM high CFM | 120mm fans
    CM Stock = 1000 RPM low CFM | 120mm fans
    Yellow = Intake
    Blue = Exhaust

This is my PC Case and I'm buying 5 new fans. I overclock my computer, so I need as low temperatures as possible :)

Speaking from a scientific stand-point. Does it make sense to have #3 in that position? It seems as if the cool air coming from #1 will be sucked out immediately by #3?

I'm not sure what path the blowing air will take...

Hmm, just posting it here as scientists may be able to give the best advice. Sorry if it is the wrong forum :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That basically looks like my fan setup, I think it should be fine. You just want to make sure you have a net flow of air from front to back in the case, and it's best to have your exhaust fans at the top of your case to exhaust hot rising air.

Another thing I wanted to mention, I find it best to balance the CFM in/out of the case, or failing that try to have more CFM going in than out. it looks like you've done this, so you're good in that respect too.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook