PC virus support from an MS employee

In summary, the computer is generating error messages related to a program called Windows XP Service Pack Two. The error message is a lie from a bug or virus and the first thing to do is to make sure nothing is launched when you boot up. System Restore can be used to try to fix the problem. The free antivirus and anti spyware programs I have listed are available for download on my website. Uninstalling rsvp may also help.
William Thompson
I can help if anyone has problems with computer viruses. I once worked at a Microsoft Call center for this sort of thing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
help

my computer is generating a lot of error messages lately. it even tries to send a report over the internet on each account. the error is related to a program called windows xp sp2. i can't seem to find anything the the add/remove list for windows xp sp2? how can uninstall that program?

bao_ho said:
my computer is generating a lot of error messages lately. it even tries to send a report over the internet on each account. the error is related to a program called windows xp sp2. i can't seem to find anything the the add/remove list for windows xp sp2? how can uninstall that program?

That is Windows XP Service Pack Two. But I am not sure that that is where the error is originating. Sometimes the error message is really a lie from a bug or virus.

Does it kick in whenever you logon to your computer?

The first thing I would do is make sure nothing is launched when you boot up. To do that, do this:1. Click on the Start Button

2. Click on the Run menu option

3. In the run box, type:
MSCONFIG

4. Click on GO

5. On the top right of the window that comes up, click on the Start-Up Tab

6. For Windows XP users, click on Disable All. For Others, uncheck all the check boxes manually.

7. Click on the Apply button.

8. For windows XP, click on Close, for others click on OK

9. Click to restart the computer.

10. After your computer restarts, you will see a pop up window telling you that you have used the Microsoft Configuration Utility to start your computer. Click on the check box there for the option of not showing this message again and click OK.

---------------

If that does not work, here is what I suggest you do. Do a System Restore. Click on your Start button then go to Accessories. Then go to System Tools. Then click on System Restore. Try to remember when the last time your computer was running ok and pick that date to restore your system to.

Last edited:
i've disabled the startups like you said.

One program still appears each time i startup.

rsvp.exe

is this safe?

I do not think so.

I think you should go to my website and download all the free antivirus and anti spyware and anti ad-ware programs I have listed. They are free. [link deleted by staff...no advertising]

I think you should also try uninstalling rsvp if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is found in c:\windows\system32\rsvp.exe

fileversion: 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Decription: Microsoft RSVP
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

sure, i will assist wherever i can.

Related to PC virus support from an MS employee

1. How can I protect my PC from viruses?

As an MS employee, it is important to regularly update your operating system and install security patches. It is also recommended to have a reputable anti-virus software and to be cautious when opening emails or downloading files from unknown sources.

2. What should I do if I suspect my PC has a virus?

If you believe your PC has a virus, it is important to immediately disconnect it from the internet and run a full virus scan. If the scan detects a virus, follow the recommended steps to remove it. It is also a good idea to change any passwords that may have been compromised.

3. Can a virus be removed without losing my data?

In most cases, a virus can be removed without losing any data. However, if the virus has caused significant damage to your system, some data may be lost. It is always a good idea to regularly back up your important files to prevent data loss in case of a virus attack.

4. What are the common signs of a virus on my PC?

Some common signs of a virus on your PC include a slow and unresponsive system, frequent pop-up ads, unexpected crashes, and changes to your homepage or search engine. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to run a virus scan as soon as possible.

5. Can I prevent my PC from getting viruses in the future?

While it is impossible to guarantee complete protection from viruses, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk. These include regularly updating your operating system and anti-virus software, being cautious when opening emails and downloading files, and avoiding suspicious websites. It is also recommended to have a backup plan in case of a virus attack.