Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
You're only allowed to take pearls from one row per turn.



Anyways, this is a classic game with two variations. Both have a straightforward solution, I think, but I only remember the other version -- the one where you win if you take the last one.
 
Last edited:
Who are you talking to Hurkyl? :biggrin:


After playing a few rounds, you start to get the idea.
 
All right, I think I have worked out the way to calculate what a winning position is in this version.
 
Hurkyl said:
All right, I think I have worked out the way to calculate what a winning position is in this version.

What is it? My butt is kicked.
 
The hint is to look at the numbers in each row in binary... The game where you want to take the last one is more straightforward, this version has to tweak the condition when the game is very small.
 
I just watch what he does, then make him go first and do that.

Course, this means my score cannot exceed 50%.