Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Pearls Before Swine comic strip pulled

1. Jul 28, 2016 #1

mheslep

Gold Member

The comic strip Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis has been syndicated since 2002. Recently the syndicator Universal Uclick pulled a strip from distribution, without explanation. The strip poked fun at government security and referenced ISIS. Pastis later tweeted it instead.

Coah21pVIAA9NCW.jpg

The ban troubles me. No mention of this in the US press that I can find. Here's hoping for a wave of comics to lampoon Uclick's censorship.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Some newspapers prefer not to let politics intrude into the comics page. My "local" daily newspaper moved Doonesbury from the comics page after complaints from some subscribers, and now buries it in the middle of the classified ads or at the end of the sports section.

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

True, though this particular action was taken by the syndicator, not a particular newspaper. The strip did not move to a different page; a satirical comment on government vanished entirely from every newspaper.

5. Jul 29, 2016 #4

OCR

Yes, me too... that kind of behavior is, well, ... bizarre !

6. Aug 4, 2016 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

7. Aug 4, 2016 #6
    The Ministry of Truth acting at its finest.

8. Aug 4, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Interestingly, in the following strip, Mouse's point of view could be directed at the Ministry of Truth:

idiots.jpg

9. Aug 24, 2016 #8
    How do newspapers determine what comic strips are the most popular? They are all on one page, how do you do ratings? Is it all done by complaints?

10. Aug 24, 2016 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

Micro-cameras embedded into the comics page that detect grin/not-grin and then phone home the results. Or not.

11. Sep 2, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted