1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Peer online degree programs, No in-person class -- Good idea?

1. Aug 17, 2016 #1
    Hello all, I just had a few questions about online degree programs and was wondering if they can be done/are worth it. First let me explain my situation as to why I want to do online school as opposed to a brick-and-mortar school.

I'm currently in the military and as you can imagine its pretty hectic not being in one place for very long. I'm generally deployed 6 months out of the year with occasional out of country trips while I'm state side. I currently just signed up for another 4 years and want to make the most of it by going to college while doing my job. However I really don't want to have to deal with going to a physical class while I home. That being said I was wondering if there were any degree programs in the STEM field that can be done solely online from a reputable school.

In the military my job is fixing jets(avionics and electronic warfare to be exact) and I want to continue doing what I am doing now once I leave the military. Either that or something similar(jets, spacecraft, etc) so I am looking for a degree that would help me in that field. I currently have an AAS in Avionic Systems Technology that I got from the military's community college(Basically, when you get trained for your job in the military; depending on how long/difficult it is, you are awarded with college credits. These credits can then be turned into a AAS in my case if I get the gen eds out of the way). So I hope to use some of these credits to put towards a BS.

Some degrees that currently interest me are Aerospace or Electrical engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Pretty much any of these I would find interesting enough to peruse a degree in. I just haven't seen a lot of programs out there that offer a peer online approach to these sorts of subjects(or there are some but they don't offer a lot of confidence when it comes to the quality of the degree program.)

tl;dr Are there any good peer online STEM degree programs and can anyone recommend some?

Thanks for reading!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are any online degrees worth it in the listed areas? Probably not, you can do a forum search and read some of the other discussions on the subject to see what I mean.

You don't have an associate degree, military training credit suggested on the smart, or whatever they call it these days, is rarely articulated at any school worth going to.

I recommend you take classes at a local community college where ever you're stationed, then when you end your enlistment you transfer those credits to a university.

4. Aug 18, 2016 #3
    Im guessing others have asked this question before and you are trying to say, no, there are no online degrees worth a crap? Because that would of been a bit more helpful.

Sweet thanks for that insight bro!

Ya, but you missed the part where I said I want to do the exact oppisite of what you are suggesting. But thanks anyways.

Anyone else have some insight?

5. Aug 18, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

All online degrees are crap, is this explicit enough?

Glad we cleared that up. Sarcasm aside, I was also in the miltary and have experience in this matter. So you can believe me, or choose to answer with sarcasm - your choice.

Yeah, but you missed the part were there is no good alternative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted