Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People won't give up their cel phones for a month, not even for $1000000

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/18837

I can hardly believe this. :bugeye: How could a cel phone be worth more than $1000000 to anybody?? Sure $1000000 isn't as much as it used to be but.... it's only a phone!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    I dont believe it. I dont even have a cell phone because it costs $30 a month.

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even worse, its a million pounds, not a million dollars. This was a hypothetical survey. I suspect the response would have differed had they actually walked people to a bank and put one million pounds in escrow, release pending on not touching a cellphone for a month.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Hell, I'd give up sex for that kind of money.

Hang on a sec... I'm married now... I gave it up for a lot less... :cry:

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My first thoughts too. If it was an actual offer for a million (bucks or quid), that's a different thing than the intangible phrase. Even the half-wits of the cell phone generation aren't that mentally addled.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #6
    i conduct business with my cell phone so the $1,000,000 or even L1,000,000 wouldn't replace the income I would lose in a month without it. How much were they offering to give up "getting hit on the head" lessons?

8. Sep 9, 2007 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I gave up my GHOTH lessons, I would also become perilously close to losing my "edge" (I am very good at it as it is, but it takes constant practice--get this: *whap* "Waah!") and I could lose anywhere up to 3 or 4 million dollars per week, easily.

9. Sep 9, 2007 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Heck, I'd give up my cell phone for a month for $10.

10. Sep 9, 2007 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd have no problem giving up my cell phone. Then again, unlike most college kids these days, I only use it to call people when I need to. I don't really use it to take pictures, text message, browse the web, get legal advice, chart a course to India, globally position myself, remove inflamed apendixes, do LASIC surgery, dial an address on the Stargate, make Pasta Alfredo, etc. The only reason my phone has a camera is because you can't find one without one these days.

11. Sep 9, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I agree, right down to why my cell phone has a camera on it.

Make me the offer, I promise I'll take it! If I had a million dollars, I'd hire a messenger for the month to deliver all my messages personally. :biggrin:

12. Sep 9, 2007 #11

Doc Al

Give me a million bucks, you'll never hear from me again. :biggrin:

13. Sep 9, 2007 #12
    id glady except that. people only call me when they need something. bring back the pony express i say

14. Sep 9, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I already did just that. I had an access plan with no bundled minutes that cost $10/per month, and I hardly ever used it, so I canceled the plan, smashed the phone and threw it in the trash. That felt good.

15. Sep 9, 2007 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In your business? Not likely. I would pay someone $10/month to carry that ball-and-chain around. I certainly am given incredible grief when I forget it somewhere.

Next summer I will be in the Boundary Waters/Quetico or some other vacation spot without cell service. My most expensive son will graduate next May. I just finished writing two research proposals, but I am not the PI on either. (SUCKS! I am the author but not the PI. Some BS about my being sooo valuable to the company that they can't devote 40% of my time to any one project, let alone devote 80% of my time ...) Final reports will be due in July. I will celebrate my tuition-free, PI-free nature with a long, well deserved cell-phone free vacation.

16. Sep 9, 2007 #15

Evo

I don't use my cell phone for work. Even though my current employer gives me a free unlimited cell phone, it's a personal perk. Not even my boss knows my cell phone number. I never give it to clients, if I did, they'd drive me nuts. I'm often in meetings or classes and can't be reached anyway. If it's an emergency, they can contact one of my support people. It's their job to handle client emergencies when I am busy.

17. Sep 9, 2007 #16

russ_watters

For a million dollars, I'll give up food for a month!

18. Sep 9, 2007 #17
    Gosh, what is it with people here hating cell phones? I love mine. I'd give it up for a month for 1,000,000USD, but that's it.

Heck, my cell phone doesn't do ENOUGH for me. I want a cell phone that not only takes pictures, but attaches the Longitude and Latitude to it as well so I can send it to people and they'd know where I'm at. Then I want it to order my pizza FOR me. Yeah! :)

19. Sep 9, 2007 #18
    Hmm That would be a better poll, find out how much $$ it would take to get people to give up cell phone usage for a month (completely).

Its hard to find a perfect figure.
    1mil? of course.
    100,000? ha, in a second
    10,000? Yep.
    1,000? Hmm. Thats a little more than 10x the subscription service. Id really have to be persuaded. I think at $5,000 Id do it without any thought.

20. Sep 9, 2007 #19

russ_watters

It will, but you need to tell it who you want to order it from and what you want...

21. Sep 9, 2007 #20

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now that I think about this more, I would give up all forms of communication (tv, radio, internet, phone, letters, pony express) for a month for $1000000. These people are insane for saying no, and that's coming from a member of the generation to grow up with the stuff.(Well the stuff meaning everything other than the Pony Express:rolleyes:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?