Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peoples' desire for electronic gizmos

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Why do people want all these mainly electronic gizmos, okay the Internet is the best thing since sliced bread , but beyond that, having everything at the touch of a button is surly counter to being human.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I lust after Mamod products, if only, but they are not gizmo's they are educational, give yourself 1000 points.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    I have a not-a-Mamod steam engine. It is in disrepair now but was electrically heated. We had to take it apart to try and clean it after crappy water deposits got it stuck. My uncle found it at a garage sale and gave it to me.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

May be it will be a test of your ingenutity to bring this engine back to life, it is sad to see these things mouldering away.

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

In W's case, she bought a GPS unit because she gets lost pulling out of the driveway.
    Now if only I could teach her how to programme it... :rolleyes:

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

This is the problem, do not program the the gizmo, program the person, where would you be without basic navigational skills, you are left with your T panel, do you give up hope of finding your way?

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

In actual fact, it's to have spoken directions while trying to navigate Calgary streets. They change about as frequently as our weather, which is every 5 minutes or so. She's not from here, and I am, and I still have trouble keeping up with all of the road construction. A route that you take to a location one week won't be there the next. What used to be a left turn at a light is now a right-exit cloverleaf. Seriously, with the volume of traffic that we have, getting trapped in the wrong lane because of not anticipating a turn soon enough can take you miles out of your way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?