Percent area of the universe is galaxy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
sketchd2
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
%area of the universe is galaxy?

Hi.
I'm trying to determine the approximate percentage of the universe's area that is made up of galaxies for a question I was asked earlier this week. I have been looking everywhere and can not find any information of use. Can someone please help?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org


Estimated number of galaxies in observable universe is N = 175 X 109, assuming average volume of each 22/7*100000*100000*30000 i.e. v = 9.25 X 1014 cubic light years. Total volume occupied by galaxies = N X V = 1618.75 X 1023 cubic light years.

Compare this with volume of observable universe = 4.1 × 1032 cubic light years.

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field shows 10000 galaxies, but still the photo is mostly black (space).

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy