Trying to understand the differences between distant & local galaxies

In summary, the recent discovery of the galaxy SPT0418-47 has raised questions about the expected characteristics of distant, early galaxies compared to nearby, evolved ones in the local universe. To better understand these differences, it is important to first explore how galaxies are classified. This can be done by looking at resources such as the course on characterizing galaxies and the Free Physics Books list. However, the classification of galaxies into elliptical, spiral, and irregular may not fully capture the complexity of the topic, as seen in the case of SPT0418-47. Additionally, the term "local" in this context refers to the measurement of redshift (z) rather than specific galaxy groups or superclusters.
Cerenkov
Hello.

The recent discovery of the galaxy SPT0418-47 has piqued my interest.

https://www.almaobservatory.org/en/images/reconstructed-view-of-spt0418-47/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPT0418-47

https://www.eso.org/public/archives/releases/sciencepapers/eso2013/eso2013a.pdf

It's my current understanding that galaxies at this red shift are expected to display very different characteristics (star formation rates, rotation, metallicity, size, etc.) to the mature and highly-evolved galaxies in the local universe. But, it appears that certain characteristics of SPT0418-47 seem to buck this expectation.

It occurs to me that I need to discover more about how galaxies are characterised. Then, knowing this I could look at the characteristics of local galaxies and compare them to those distant ones with a better understanding.

So, this prompts me to ask the following questions.

Is finding out about how galaxies are characterised a good first step in understanding the differences between distant, early galaxies and nearby, evolved ones in the local universe?

If so, could I please be directed to some Basic Level resources (links, websites, blogs, etc.) that will help me achieve this?

If not, could I please be guided to a better option?

In the context of this topic, does the word 'Local' refer to the Local Group of galaxies, to the Virgo or Laniakea Superclusters or to a measurement relating to the redshift (z) ?

Any help given would be very much appreciated.

With thanks,

Cerenkov.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1611345367898.png
Hope it helps but I am not very inteliggent on this matter

AndrewWayneHarville said:
View attachment 276676 Hope it helps but I am not very inteliggent on this matter
That has nothing to do with local and distant galaxies. It's referring to our Milky Way galaxy :smile:

Many thanks for the help folks. :smile:

I thought this thread had died stillborn.

Looks like I was wrong.

Thanks again.

Cerenkov.

Likes davenn
Cerenkov said:
Hello.

The recent discovery of the galaxy SPT0418-47 has piqued my interest.

https://www.almaobservatory.org/en/images/reconstructed-view-of-spt0418-47/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPT0418-47

https://www.eso.org/public/archives/releases/sciencepapers/eso2013/eso2013a.pdf

It's my current understanding that galaxies at this red shift are expected to display very different characteristics (star formation rates, rotation, metallicity, size, etc.) to the mature and highly-evolved galaxies in the local universe. But, it appears that certain characteristics of SPT0418-47 seem to buck this expectation.

It occurs to me that I need to discover more about how galaxies are characterised. Then, knowing this I could look at the characteristics of local galaxies and compare them to those distant ones with a better understanding.

So, this prompts me to ask the following questions.

Is finding out about how galaxies are characterised a good first step in understanding the differences between distant, early galaxies and nearby, evolved ones in the local universe?

If so, could I please be directed to some Basic Level resources (links, websites, blogs, etc.) that will help me achieve this?

If not, could I please be guided to a better option?
1) is correct, but the link offered for 2) is not a very good one, yet I don´ t know a better one.

The classification of nearby galaxies is basically into "elliptical" and "spiral" galaxies, with intermediate group of "lenticular"... plus "irregular" galaxies.
Irregular galaxies are common even in local universe - just look up for the Magellanic Clouds. Yet the link only briefly mentions irregular galaxies, and discusses elliptical and spiral galaxies at length.

The problem with SPT0418-47 refers to a guess that young world should have had only irregular galaxies, and no elliptic or spiral galaxies.
Cerenkov said:
In the context of this topic, does the word 'Local' refer to the Local Group of galaxies, to the Virgo or Laniakea Superclusters or to a measurement relating to the redshift (z) ?
To redshift.

What is the difference between distant and local galaxies?

The main difference between distant and local galaxies is their distance from Earth. Distant galaxies are located far away from our own Milky Way galaxy, while local galaxies are relatively closer. Distant galaxies are also typically younger and have a higher redshift, indicating that they are moving away from us at a faster rate.

How do we study distant galaxies?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to study distant galaxies, such as telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also analyze the light emitted by these galaxies to gather information about their composition, structure, and movement.

What can we learn from studying distant galaxies?

Studying distant galaxies can provide us with valuable insights into the evolution of the universe, as well as the formation and development of galaxies. It can also help us understand the distribution of dark matter and the expansion of the universe.

Why are distant galaxies important to study?

Distant galaxies are important to study because they provide a glimpse into the past. The light from these galaxies takes millions or even billions of years to reach us, allowing us to see what the universe looked like in its early stages. This can help us better understand the origins of our own galaxy and the universe as a whole.

Can we ever visit distant galaxies?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to physically visit distant galaxies due to the vast distances involved. However, advancements in technology and space exploration may one day make it possible for us to send probes or spacecraft to explore these distant worlds.