Perception of apparent (seeming) motion

In summary: This is known as the apparent motion of the landscape. In summary, the first task of this assignment is to observe the apparent motion of the landscape in front of and behind a chosen reference point while using public transportation. The landscape will appear to move backwards relative to the observer, with the landscape in front of the reference point appearing to move backwards relative to the fixed point and the landscape behind the reference point appearing to move forwards relative to the fixed point.
ShiPe
Hey everyone! I'm having hard times with one assignment and I just can't figure it out. I tried to answer these questions on my own and I sent the finished assignment to the professor. She answered me that I misunderstood the assignment and that I should try to solve it one more time. This assignment is about the Perception of apparent (seeming) motion. The assignment encompasses of two taks. The description of the first one is this:

Use the public transportation and observe the landscape. Pick a point (a tree or a house) in the landscape and observe which direction is the landscape seemingly moving in front of this point and which direction is the landscape seemingly moving behind this point.

I wrote that in front of the point it seems faster and behind it seems slower. However, this is incorrect.

What do you think the answer might be?

The description of the second task is this:

During the Christmas some people set some blinking decorations around or on their houses. Some of them, for example look like the colored light is "running" around the house or branches of tree. Explain what caused this and what kind of apparent (seeming) motion this is.

I correctly answered that the thing what causes this is consequent turning on and off of diodes. Thanks to that our eyes perceive that the light is running. Nonetheless, I couldn't figure out the name of this motion.

Do you have any idea that the name of that seeming motion might be?

Thank you for any help! And I am sorry for improper English - some terms here might be inaccurate.

Have a great day!

Physics news on Phys.org
assignment said:
which direction
"Faster" is not a direction.

I didn't know that this has a specific name, but that might be language-specific.

ShiPe said:
Use the public transportation and observe the landscape. Pick a point (a tree or a house) in the landscape and observe which direction is the landscape seemingly moving in front of this point and which direction is the landscape seemingly moving behind this point.

I wrote that in front of the point it seems faster and behind it seems slower. However, this is incorrect.

"Faster" and "slower" are not directions.

ShiPe said:
During the Christmas some people set some blinking decorations around or on their houses. Some of them, for example look like the colored light is "running" around the house or branches of tree. Explain what caused this and what kind of apparent (seeming) motion this is.

I correctly answered that the thing what causes this is consequent turning on and off of diodes. Thanks to that our eyes perceive that the light is running. Nonetheless, I couldn't figure out the name of this motion.

What are the various kinds of apparent motion you learned about? As it's a question that is essentially just matching a description to a definition, there isn't really much in way we can help you without just giving you the answer. Maybe start by listing all the definitions you know.

LastOneStanding said:
"Faster" and "slower" are not directions.
What are the various kinds of apparent motion you learned about? As it's a question that is essentially just matching a description to a definition, there isn't really much in way we can help you without just giving you the answer. Maybe start by listing all the definitions you know.
We learned about illusory motion, beta motion and Phi phenomenon. Edit: These terms might be inaccurate brcause I am an international student.

Last edited:
mfb said:
"Faster" is not a direction.

I didn't know that this has a specific name, but that might be language-specific.

That's true. Well I think that in front of this point the landscape moves back and behind it moves to the front. That's all I can think of.

Well after another research, I think that the first task answer is that in front of the point it goes back and behind forward. The answer for the second task is Illusory motion is that right?

No, illusory motion is when a static image appears to move. Like http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdaEtD89b_LdUPDo2mwecy1eIIK-dMXFUekPBFR6KB8QulJXWSJMel-NismQ. If you look at the Wikipedia pages for each of the three things you mentioned, there are examples on each page. One of the examples is exactly what you're describing. I think that's about as far as we can reasonably help you for that question, since it really is the exact same example.

LastOneStanding said:
No, illusory motion is when a static image appears to move. Like http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdaEtD89b_LdUPDo2mwecy1eIIK-dMXFUekPBFR6KB8QulJXWSJMel-NismQ. If you look at the Wikipedia pages for each of the three things you mentioned, there are examples on each page. One of the examples is exactly what you're describing. I think that's about as far as we can reasonably help you for that question, since it really is the exact same example.

Edit: it is beta I just saw a picture and that's it. So thank you

Last edited:
Ok, I can't figure out the first task does anyone know? Does the landscape in front of the object move seemingly back and the landscape behind the point forward?

Yes. You said this earlier, I thought you had it figured out then? However, the important point is that you specify they are appearing to move relative to the fixed point in the middle.

LastOneStanding said:
Yes. You said this earlier, I thought you had it figured out then? However, the important point is that you specify they are appearing to move relative to the fixed point in the middle.

Ok thank You for all help! I'm just being extremely cautious with this assignment because it is decisive for my grade=)

ShiPe said:
All of the landscape will appear to be moving backwards relative to the observer in the public transportation vehicle. The landscape in front of the reference point will appear to move backards relative to the refence point (not the observer), and the landscape behind the reference point will appear to move forwards relative to the reference point (not the observer).

ShiPe said:
Illusionary motion. There seem to be conflicting definitions for the various terms used for illusionary motion, but best defintions I could find are:

phi phenomenon - consists of three types of apparent movement: beta, delta, and gamma.

beta - illusion of motion in a static image where nothing is changing or moving. More of an optical or perceptual illusion.

delta - pictures displayed quickly in sequence with slight change (delta) in each picture to give the illusion of motion. This would include film, flip books, mutoscopes, zoetropes, ...

gamma - light emitting devices (gamma) cycled or transitioned in patterns to give the illusion of motion. This would include digital projectors, monitors, led panels, televisions, oscilloscopes, ...

For the Christmas displays, the blinking lights illusionary motion would be the gamma form of phi phenomenon.

Last edited:
It is not backwards/to the front. What about left and right? ;)

1. What is the definition of "perception of apparent motion"?

The perception of apparent motion refers to the visual experience of movement that is not physically present in the environment. It occurs when the brain interprets a series of static images or stimuli as continuous motion.

2. How does the perception of apparent motion differ from actual motion?

The perception of apparent motion is a subjective experience created by the brain, while actual motion is a physical movement of an object in the environment. Our perception of apparent motion can be influenced by various factors, such as previous experiences, expectations, and attention.

3. What are the mechanisms behind the perception of apparent motion?

The perception of apparent motion is thought to be a result of the brain's visual processing system, specifically the motion detection and integration areas. These areas work together to interpret and integrate visual information, creating the illusion of continuous motion.

4. Is the perception of apparent motion universal or does it vary among individuals?

The perception of apparent motion can vary among individuals due to differences in their visual processing systems. Some individuals may perceive apparent motion more easily, while others may not experience it at all. Additionally, cultural and environmental factors can also influence the perception of apparent motion.

5. How is the perception of apparent motion studied in scientific research?

Scientists use a variety of experimental methods to study the perception of apparent motion, such as psychophysical experiments, brain imaging techniques, and computational models. These studies help us understand the underlying mechanisms and principles of apparent motion perception.