1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfect Inelastic collision with string tension

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small wooden block with mass 0.800 kg is suspended from the lower end of a light cord that is 1.60 m long. The block is initially at rest. A bullet with mass 0.0132 kg is fired at the block with a horizontal velocity v-_i. The bullet strikes the block and becomes embedded in it. After the collision the combined object swings on the end of the cord. When the block has risen a vertical height of 0.800 m , the tension in the cord is 4.92 N . What is the v_i of the bullet?

2. Relevant equations
    Tension=mg+ma
    a=mv^2/r
    (m_1)(v_1)=(m_1+m_2)v_2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I input the centripetal acceleration equation into the tension equation so T=mg+m(((m_1+m_2)(v_2)^2)/r) then plugged in the numbers given in the equation so the formula began to look like 4.92N=(0.8132)(-9.8)+0.8132((0.8132(v_2)^2)/1.6) and when I solved for v_2 I got approximately 5.584. Then I used the 5.584 in the conservation of motion equation so v_1=(0.8132*5.584)/0.0132. That gives me 344m/s for velocity of the bullet but mastering physics says that wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello erm, :welcome:

Good start ! Good use of the template. Clear post. Pleasure to assist.

You want to take into account that the tension in the cord has a different direction than the ##mg##: it's all vectors.

Furthermore, your ##v_2## is at the bottom; if the block swings up, the speed will decrease. Exercise doesn't give that it hangs still after rising 0.8 m -- that would be too easy I suppose.

This is a nice, but not so easy exercise. You'll have to work it out in a few steps. Momentum balance for the initial inelastic collision is a good start. What do you want to get out of it (in the form of an expression with symbols) ?

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3
    So for the tension of the cord part would I have to include the cos(theta) into the work so T=mg(cos(theta)+ma? I don't understand what you mean by what I want to get out of the initial inelastic collision? If I understand you correctly I want to get the velocity of the bullet from the equality so v_1=((m_1+m_2)v_2)/m_1

5. Mar 12, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so you have a relationship between ##v_2## and the speed of the bullet. That's part of what I meant. For the next step you have to relate this ##v_2## to something else.

For the other part, I think you'll make things much clearer for yourself with a free-body diagram of the block at the point when it's risen 0.8 m.

6. Mar 12, 2017 #5
    Ok I figured it out. I had to find out the velocity at the height of 0.8m then use the KE+PE=Total energy equation so that 1/2 mv^2+mgh=1/2mv^2+mgh and one side is the velocity at 0.8 and the other (the velocity im looking for) is calculated at h=0. so 1/2(0.8132)(v^2)=1/2(0.8132)(v at 0.8)+0.8132(9.8)(0.8)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted