Perfectly Inelastic collisions

In summary, a high school student built an electric car in 1986 that could reach a speed of 106 km/h with a mass of 60.0 kg. Two of these cars, each with a person weighing 50.0 kg, performed in a stunt show with one traveling east at 106.0 km/h and the other traveling west at 75.0 km/h. To find the kinetic energy dissipated in a head-on, perfectly inelastic collision, equations were used but the final answer should be positive. In a challenge problem involving a projectile, an artillery expert for the Mongolian army is trying to hit a tank moving away at a constant speed of 14.0 m/s. After firing a shell from a
chamonix

Homework Statement

In 1986, four high school students built an electric car that could reach a speed of 106 km/h. The mass of the car was just 60.0 kg. Imagine two of these cars performing in a stunt show. One car travels east with a speed of 106.0 km/h and the other travels west with a speed of 75.0 km/h. If each car is driven by a person with mass of 50.0 kg, how much kinetic energy is dissipated in a head on, perfectly inelastic collision?

Homework Equations

I used these three equations:
m1*v1i+m2*v2i=(m1+m2)vf
KEi=1/2*m1*v1i^2+1/2*m2*v2i^2
KEf=1/2*(m1+m2)vf^2
KE=KEi-KEf

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many attempts, but I think this one is most relevant...
m1*v1i+m2*v2i=(m1+m2)vf
(110kg)*(29.4m/s)+(110kg)*(-20.8m/s)=(220kg)vf
vf=4.3m/s
KEi=1/2*m1*v1i^2+1/2*m2*v2i^2
KEi=1/2*110kg*29.4m/s^2+1/2*110kg*-20.8^2
KEi=71335J
KEf=1/2*(m1+m2)vf^2
KEf=1/2*(220)4.3^2
KEf=2033.9J
KE=KEi-KEf
KE=71335-2033.9
KE=69301.1J
KE=69300 Joules
I think that I used all the right equations, but the answer is wrong.:confused: Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't checked your numbers, but the equations you've used are correct.

To find the KEi, did you add or subtract the 2 numbers to get the total?

Well i don't see any problems

I subtracted them. But I think the final answer should be negative.

I subtracted them. But I think the final answer should be negative.

if it was negative, that would mean initial energy is LESS than final energy, which would be a no-no :tongue2:

If the problem had asked for the "change in kinetic energy" then the answer would be negative. If the problem asked for "kinetic energy dissapated" then the answer is positive.

Oh, I see. So the answer should be positive then.

Challenge problem projectile

Mongolian Projectile

You are the artillery expert for the Mongolian army. You have just fired a shell from the
top of a hill 53.6 m high at a tank moving away from you at a constant speed of 14.0 m/s.
The muzzle velocity of your gun is 148 m/s and your launch angle was 12.0°. You
observed that the shell landed 73.5 metres behind the tank. At the moment of impact, the
tank started to accelerate at 1.17 m/s2 over a distance of 187 metres, then it resumed
contant speed. If it takes you 24.0 s from the time you observe the shell land to recalculate
a trajectory and fire your second shell, what is the launch angle that you should fire at in
order to hit the moving tank?
Sketch of first shot:
12.0º
148 m/s
73.5 m
53.6 m Tank.

I don't have the least i dea of what supposed to be done any help is welcome.:mad:

daguy said:
Mongolian Projectile

You are the artillery expert for the Mongolian army. You have just fired a shell from the
top of a hill 53.6 m high at a tank moving away from you at a constant speed of 14.0 m/s.
The muzzle velocity of your gun is 148 m/s and your launch angle was 12.0°. You
observed that the shell landed 73.5 metres behind the tank. At the moment of impact, the
tank started to accelerate at 1.17 m/s2 over a distance of 187 metres, then it resumed
contant speed. If it takes you 24.0 s from the time you observe the shell land to recalculate
a trajectory and fire your second shell, what is the launch angle that you should fire at in
order to hit the moving tank?
Sketch of first shot:
12.0º
148 m/s
73.5 m
53.6 m Tank.

I don't have the least i dea of what supposed to be done any help is welcome.:mad:

Please don't hijack someone else's thread! Firstly, draw a diagram, this may help. Do you know any equations that can help in questions like this?

What is a perfectly inelastic collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is a type of collision where the two objects involved stick together and move as one after impact. This means that the momentum and kinetic energy are not conserved, as they are in other types of collisions.

What is the coefficient of restitution in a perfectly inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution in a perfectly inelastic collision is 0, meaning that there is no rebound or bounce between the two objects. This is because the objects stick together after impact.

How does the velocity of the objects change in a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the velocity of the objects involved decreases. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost as the objects stick together and move as one.

What is an example of a perfectly inelastic collision?

An example of a perfectly inelastic collision is when a car hits a wall and crumples upon impact. The car and the wall stick together and move as one after the collision.

Can the total momentum be conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision?

No, the total momentum is not conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision. This is because some of the momentum is lost as the objects stick together and move at a lower velocity after impact.